Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I wanted to try FreeNAS or Rockstor. FreeNAS might not have as much hardware support though, right?

Already have some 3.5" hard drives.
I have a FreeNAS server at present and have others in the past. Never had any major HW issues. Just be sure to use an HBA and not a RAID controller. ECC memory is highly recommended and that's all I've ever used. The people over at the FreeNAS forum will make fun of you if you don't. My current system is a X8DTE-F, 96GB of DDR3 ECC RDIMM, 12 4TB HD's. I'm using a mix of SAS and SATA drives without issues. A Dell H310 HBA. And a Solarflare 10G NIC. All in a Supermicro SM846 4u chassis. It's a rock. Nothing protects your data like zfs.

lcars

Apr 8, 2020
I have a FreeNAS server at present and have others in the past. Never had any major HW issues. Just be sure to use an HBA and not a RAID controller. ECC memory is highly recommended and that's all I've ever used. The people over at the FreeNAS forum will make fun of you if you don't. My current system is a X8DTE-F, 96GB of DDR3 ECC RDIMM, 12 4TB HD's. I'm using a mix of SAS and SATA drives without issues. A Dell H310 HBA. And a Solarflare 10G NIC. All in a Supermicro SM846 4u chassis. It's a rock. Nothing protects your data like zfs.
Say, thanks for the helpful reply.

I think you just saved me a big headache. The listing for this Quanta server I'm looking at (Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U Server w/DAS2RSMBACO LGA2011 Sys Bd/2x 6C E5-2620 | eBay) says it comes with an LSI 9261-8i controller. According to a couple of other servethehome threads/articles, this card can't be used in JBOD mode. So not good for ZFS I guess.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-9261-question.3380/

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2108-raid-controller-information-listing/

I'm holding off to find a different server then. Thanks!

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Say, thanks for the helpful reply.

I think you just saved me a big headache. The listing for this Quanta server I'm looking at (Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U Server w/DAS2RSMBACO LGA2011 Sys Bd/2x 6C E5-2620 | eBay) says it comes with an LSI 9261-8i controller. According to a couple of other servethehome threads/articles, this card can't be used in JBOD mode. So not good for ZFS I guess.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-9261-question.3380/

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2108-raid-controller-information-listing/

I'm holding off to find a different server then. Thanks!
why not just buy a dell h310 off ebay and swap out the lsi 9261-8i instead of holding off another server? it's quite cheap like the one below. you will be surprised that you might save $$ by building your own server with good deal on parts from the bay. It's actually a lot of fun and learning also.

Dell Perc H310 8-Port 6Gb/s SAS Server Adapter Raid Controller Card | eBay

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The Dell H310 is dirt cheap on eBay and works perfectly with FreeNAS. You could resell the LSI 9261-8i and easily recoup the cost.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
that's what i thought... i see those 3108 cards w/o BBU on ebay for $250-ish... he could resell that card w/o the bracket and cover the cost of the server! LOL
He is lucky however if he wants HBA then he has to buy another adapter and wait. LOL

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
Yep definitely the SAS 3108 with battery. Opened up the second server, same config. A little bummed they didn't have the rear SATA drive cages as I planned to use those for OS drives and leave the front for all storage. Ah well, I'm sure I can hack something up.

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
He is lucky however if he wants HBA then he has to buy another adapter and wait. LOL
Not anticipating getting these cards, I already ordered two SAS 3008 mezz cards. Now I have to decide which direction to go.

But waiting is my MO lately. Still need the DDR4 to show up before I can test these.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Yep definitely the SAS 3108 with battery. Opened up the second server, same config. A little bummed they didn't have the rear SATA drive cages as I planned to use those for OS drives and leave the front for all storage. Ah well, I'm sure I can hack something up.
It seems you've got exactly same config showing in their picture - no rear trays but has SAS Mezz bracket.
11_18.jpg

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Guess it's the luck of the draw. Mine came with the dual SATA cage and no 12Gb controller but it did come with a 6Gb RAID controller and BBU card (72xx I think).

MTurm

Jul 10, 2017
I ended up with the rear SATA drive cages but not the mezz bracket. Can't really figure out if that was a win or not. My front USB port did come busted so that was a bummer. Did anyones unit come with screws for the hard drive cages or maybe know a size that fits?

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
One of my rails seems to be missing a screw on the front that slots into the square hole on the rack post. Does anyone know what this sort of screw is called (see attachment) so I can find a replacement?

Attachments

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I ended up with the rear SATA drive cages but not the mezz bracket. Can't really figure out if that was a win or not. My front USB port did come busted so that was a bummer. Did anyones unit come with screws for the hard drive cages or maybe know a size that fits?
Supermicro 2.5 drive screws work perfectly.

The other side of mine was bent. I had to straighten it out and realign the power and reset buttons. Turned out better than I expected so I can live with it.