Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Oh! Looks like the card fits in a pci slot? What is it installed in? Is it some sort of proprietary slot?
It plugs into the top edge of #1 riser. I have no idea what the OEM bracket looks like. I have a cable on order and can't test it till then.

Also received the second CPU today so I now have the LSI 9271-8i up and running.

Reactions: Sleyk

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Did a bit of ghetto engineering to install the 12G SAS controller. It's solid and gets the job done. :confused:

View attachment 13410
That is awesome work :), now I wish I have my own metal shop at home so I can fabricate brackets like that easily. Keep us posted of the progress, I am curious how the backplane works, especially whether it is single or dual 12gbps backplane.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That is awesome work :), now I wish I have my own metal shop at home so I can fabricate brackets like that easily. Keep us posted of the progress, I am curious how the backplane works, especially whether it is single or dual 12gbps backplane.
Haven't gotten to researching the backplane yet. I'll be doing some benchmarking as soon as the cable for the 12G controller arrives.

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
For the rails that come with this, do you know what the minimum distance on the rails is? My rack is 29" from post to post which is slightly shorter than the server itself, so I wanted to make sure the rails would adjust down short enough to work in my rack before buying.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
For the rails that come with this, do you know what the minimum distance on the rails is? My rack is 29" from post to post which is slightly shorter than the server itself, so I wanted to make sure the rails would adjust down short enough to work in my rack before buying.
Haven't measure them but they adjust down far enough to fit any rack I believe.

Just went and measured my rack. It's also 29" post to post so yea, you're good.

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
Haven't measure them but they adjust down far enough to fit any rack I believe.

Just went and measured my rack. It's also 29" post to post so yea, you're good.
Thank you very much. I thought it would be fine, but could not find any info on the rails anywhere. Guess I'm buying some servers now. :)

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The Mini SAS cable arrived today so I was able to get the 12G QS-3008 Mex controller up and running. Apparently it's a HBA. It passed all the drives on to the OS without any configuring. I wasn't watching as it booted but this is all I ask of it. Now all is well. This box has been a rock the last fews days I've been playing with it. No glitches and no surprises. :)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
The Mini SAS cable arrived today so I was able to get the 12G QS-3008 Mex controller up and running. Apparently it's a HBA. It passed all the drives on to the OS without any configuring. I wasn't watching as it booted but this is all I ask of it. Now all is well. This box has been a rock the last fews days I've been playing with it. No glitches and no surprises. :)
Is it single or dual expander backplane ?? Do you have SAS drive connected to the backplane ?? does it shows multipath ? Thanks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Is it single or dual expander backplane ?? Do you have SAS drive connected to the backplane ?? does it shows multipath ? Thanks.
All drives are SAS. How can I tell if it's dual and/or multipath?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
what os are you running on the box ? Usually in a system without native multipath support, a dual ported drive connected to dual backplane will show up as 2 separate drives.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2. All drives show up normally.

There is another Mini SAS connector on the backplane that's not being used.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Running on ubuntu with both connectors hooked up to a LSI SAS3008-based HBA, only one of the ports is connected to the backplane. The other port's phy is showing "no device attached".

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Cost prohibitive for me also. Listing looks like bracket plus controller.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Bought the 12Gb controller for 30 bucks. Not paying $155 plus shipping for the bracket. Given the price of the 12Gb mez, I don't see why anyone would buy this 6Gb card.

lcars

Apr 8, 2020
As someone still pretty new to this, thanks for posting this other listing! I'm considering buying one of these to try my hand at setting up a zfs fileserver. It looks like Quanta provided an updated BIOS in 2018 for the Intel hardware vulnerabilities that came out that year, so that looks good. (Download Center | QCT- Quanta Cloud Technology)

Based on the listing then, the only thing missing for a working system is memory? I found this components list: Marketing summary report Looks like if I also buy some used DDR3 registered memory meeting those specifications I should have everything I need to set up a working file server?

Sorry for the newbie questions--like I say I'm still new to buying used enterprise hardware like this and don't want to buy a pile of stuff I can't use. Thanks for any tips!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
As someone still pretty new to this, thanks for posting this other listing! I'm considering buying one of these to try my hand at setting up a zfs fileserver. It looks like Quanta provided an updated BIOS in 2018 for the Intel hardware vulnerabilities that came out that year, so that looks good. (Download Center | QCT- Quanta Cloud Technology)

Based on the listing then, the only thing missing for a working system is memory? I found this components list: Marketing summary report Looks like if I also buy some used DDR3 registered memory meeting those specifications I should have everything I need to set up a working file server?

Sorry for the newbie questions--like I say I'm still new to buying used enterprise hardware like this and don't want to buy a pile of stuff I can't use. Thanks for any tips!
What OS are you planning to go with?