Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I just have no use for it and I just bought this one
Just remember is has a bios password that they don't have, so you need to contact SuperMicro for their BMC reset tool which should give you access to the BMC and with the correct license you have flash the bios and remove the previos settings as far as I remember.

Reactions: Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

Just remember is has a bios password that they don't have, so you need to contact SuperMicro for their BMC reset tool which should give you access to the BMC and with the correct license you have flash the bios and remove the previos settings as far as I remember.
Is this something fairly easy to do? I assume someone in STH had already done this and it is relatively straightforward for people who are constantly updating firmware and supermicro wouldn't prevent me to get access to what I need.

Seems like apples and oranges to me.
Exactly! I can find a good use for the SuperMicro one but I have no use for this one since I don't run SFF based storage/compute servers.

Reactions: Fritz

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
These seem rather legit. Is there anyway to control the fans using ipmitool? Does the web UI have any pwm offset options?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine has arrived and kudos to the Fed Ex beast. Huge box that weighed at least 60lbs. My driveway will hold 6 cars bumper to bumper and this Hercules sprinted all the way to the front door with it. :eek:

It had one minor problem, the left ear was mangled. The handle had been hit dead center bending it into a U and also bending the bracket. After about 30 minutes of precision vise and plier work I was able to get it "close enough" You can still tell that it was bent but I managed to get all the screw holes to line up as well as the power and reset switches so all should be good. Thankfully it didn't break the circuit board or damage the chassis alignment. Won't be able to fire it up until Wednesday when the cpu's and memory arrive. I could borrow them from another server but I'm not in any big hurry. Box looks pristine. It's a bit longer than a standard 2U. I measured and it will fit in my rack so all is good. I already have a full load of 2.5 HD's so once the rest of the parts arrive the build will begin. I also ordered a SAS3008 mez card for 30 bucks. Dunno what I'm gonna do about a bracket but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Reactions: mmo

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The memory arrived today so I went ahead and fired her up with one CPU. All is well. Now I need to hack the IPMI password, Load up the bays and wait on the second CPU which is due to arrive the 4th.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The memory arrived today so I went ahead and fired her up with one CPU. All is well. Now I need to hack the IPMI password, Load up the bays and wait on the second CPU which is due to arrive the 4th.
there's a password on the IPMI interface? how does one reset that?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yup. Gotta flash the firmware. This clears the PW and sets it back to the default. Still have to read the manual to find out what that is. Supermicro is ADMIN / ADMIN. Don't know what Quanta is, could be the same for all I know.

Decided to go ahead and load Windows Server 2012 R2. No reason not to at this point.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
yeah those quanta are amazing deals holly !!! My current setup are still on v2 cpu and ddr3 memory so moving to a v3-v4 and ddr4 going to cost me a fortune... I really do want this deal though !!!! waiting to see how people handle installing the sas3 ocp controller and I wish I can find the NVME rear drive bay unit as well

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What really makes this a sweet deal is the free shipping. 10% off via make offer is just icing on the cake. :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
there's a password on the IPMI interface? how does one reset that?
Just flashed the IPMI firmware and now I'm in using admin / admin (Lower case unlike SM). Flashing was stupid easy, just click on Win.bat and that's it. :)

Also like to point out that at this point I'm only running 1 CPU and thus the second slot where the RAID controller is doesn't work so thus can't access the HD's. However, they are seen by IPMI. :confused:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
You just had to keep mentioning that, when I told about the $613 shipping to Denmark :-D
Sorry. :(

Yea, international shipping rates seems to be a way of saying "we don't want your business".