Quad NVMe Drive Cage like this (ICY DOCK) one?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I don't know if 4 bay option but Intel does have 8 bay option. It has 2 x 8643 for SAS / SATA and 8 x Oculink connections. It requires 2 x 5.25 bays though. Someone here posted in HP Z workstation I think in the build section with pictures.

The nomenclature is like <AUP/A2U/FUP/FXX>8x25S3NVDK. One of them goes with the 2U chassis and another will work with 2x5.25 bays.

Not Cheap but if OEMXS / KalleyOmalley carries it, you may be able to source it for ~$100. They include the 4 pin legacy Molex to custom power cable.
Here is one of the options:
8x2.5 inch Hot Swap SAS/NVMe COMBO Drive Bay Kit AUP8X25S3NVDK Product Specifications

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I've seen that post, it's this one. Unfortunately it doesn't appear there is any easy way to mount that enclosure on the sides like I would need to in my 5.25" drive bays. On top of that, I really don't have a need for more than 4 bays.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
How does the MB699VP-B compare ( MB699VP-B_ToughArmor Series_U.2/M.2 (SATA/PCIE NVME) ENCLOSURES OR KITS_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure )? I am planning on connecting a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P ( AOC-SLG3-4E2P | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. ) to its backplane using Supermicro CBL-SAST-0929 cables, where the OCuLink end has the green mark ( Supermicro CBL-SAST-0929 57cm OCuLink (x4) to MiniSAS HD Cable ). I already discussed this in another post with @T_Minus and @William but there was no real conclusion.

This part of the project is currently on hold as I have just changed the PSU's in the workstation and may need to upgrade a lot of the machine's firmware. I have this HBA and mobile rack, I spec'ed it out in advance, did my research, etc, and will be disappointed if it isn't going to work.

Edit: Cf. https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-to-icydock-mobile-rack-nvme-backplane.27536/

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
If you look right at the top of that ICY DOCK link you will see they say there is a known issue using Occulink cables. They are coming out with a new version that supports Occulink.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Yes, those comments on the website and the links, FAQ, etc, are fairly recent additions, IIRC.

I was wondering, however, if the Supermicro cables have some special wiring at the green-marked end as a mitigation for these kinds of issues. I've been asking around, but I think the correct solution is to pester IcyDock for a satisfactory solution, or a full refund from Amazon.

Reactions: T_Minus

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
If you look right at the top of that ICY DOCK link you will see they say there is a known issue using Occulink cables. They are coming out with a new version that supports Occulink.
I just chatted with their online support today, the new revision is significantly delayed. It was supposed to be Q2 this year but now end of the year, good news is that it will support PCIE 4.0.

Reactions: Rock