Quad NIC's for ESXi server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Looking for recommendations on a quad NIC i want to add to my ESXi box.

I found a couple, but was not sure of the differences between the two and was hoping to get some feedback here.

Going to add some networking capabilities in my ESXi server (hopefully, will be able to add two ESXi boxes and NAS storage for some testing/fun later). as well as maybe pull a NIC off and setup a openVPN server.

I found these two:

Intel E1G44HTBLK Server Adapter I340-T4 (Bulk Pack) 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express 2.0 4 x RJ45 - Newegg.com

Intel E1G44HT Server Adapter I340-T4 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express 2.0 4 x RJ45 - Newegg.com

Outside of price, what are the differences? They seem to work on ESXi 6.x...something i am not aware of?

Thanks

TCG

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
the quad nics using the same Intel chipsets, but branded from Supermicro, Dell or HP are almost always bonafide ones. Look for those

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
appreciate the feedback. Is the T340 a good chipset to use or should i be looking for something else?

cheers

Marsh

May 12, 2013
T350 is better but price is much higher for quad ports card 3x to 4x $$.
Depends your need ? You have need high performance network for your VM ?
Do you need SRIOV?

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
T350 is better but price is much higher for quad ports card 3x to 4x $$.
Depends your need ? You have need high performance network for your VM ?
Do you need SRIOV?
I dont think i will need that much performance (like something that is production).
This is really for my home lab that i do a lot of work out for my company. I am on the road quite a bit and want to be able to VPN back into my home network and use the stuff I have setup between my servers (cant do it on my laptop).

The thought would be to have more NIC's for network configuration items (testing, DMZ, separate networks and maybe pull a NIC off for a OpenVPN server.)

But that is pretty much it.
I have a good supermicro board with lots of expansion capabilities as well.

I appreciate the help eveyrone.

TCG