Quad 10GbE for Dell R720xd

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Hi all,

I recently acquired a R720xd and are looking to get a 10G NIC card for it, more specifically a “daughter card” as Dell calls them.

Found 2 cards:

- Broadcom 57800S, MT09V, 2x 10GbE, 2x 1GbE
- Intel X710 DA/SFP+, 68M95, 4x 10GbE

Obviously the quad port card looks the most appealing to me, the prices are not that different. However, I am not entirely sure about if it’s possible to retrofit in the R720, as it was first introduced in R730.

Would anyone know? I have retrofitted several gen8 nics on gen9 servers on hp, hopefully it would also work on dell? As far as I can see, the connector is a pcie x8

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
All the doco I read makes no mention, but this video shows a guy putting the Broadcom one you mentioned in a R720XD

If you want to double check contact dell spare parts, they are normally pretty helpful with this sort of stuff!

Reactions: John Piontkowski

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@DRAGONKZ for completeness, the MT09V card not only "fits" in the R720, it works as well. I updated the firmware of the MT09V in the R720XD, as well as did a iperf3 test in both directions, so I can confirm it actually works. Also, I used Cisco branded DAC cables for the test, and the driver spewed a warning about "unqualified transceiver" or something like that, but still worked perfectly.

That 'guy' is @BLinux btw :)
I guess the word is getting out... :D

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Hey all, thanks for your inputs! A little late as getting a son takes a bit of your time away..

It doesn’t surprise me that the MT09V works in the R720, wasn’t it designed for that server? ;)

I am really considering buying a 68M95, everywhere I look, it seems like the dimensions are almost completely identical, it also looks like that the connector simply is a normal pcie connector with a custom slot. As far as I can see too, the slot is pcie 3.0 x8, giving about 8GB/s of bandwidth. That would mean that there would still be enough bandwidth for all 4 10GbE ports. :)

illethrias

Mar 20, 2021
Hey all, thanks for your inputs! A little late as getting a son takes a bit of your time away..

It doesn’t surprise me that the MT09V works in the R720, wasn’t it designed for that server? ;)

I am really considering buying a 68M95, everywhere I look, it seems like the dimensions are almost completely identical, it also looks like that the connector simply is a normal pcie connector with a custom slot. As far as I can see too, the slot is pcie 3.0 x8, giving about 8GB/s of bandwidth. That would mean that there would still be enough bandwidth for all 4 10GbE ports. :)
I know it's 2 years old thread, but have you bought it? Did it work? I have R720xd and I'm thinking about it, but other then one ebay listing I haven't found any reference in regards of compatibility.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
The port is the same size, but I can't find whether or not it works. I have the Broadcom dual 10/dual 1 rNDCs in my R720xd's.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I've seen sellers of refurbished systems offer the entire range of rNDCs (the ones they have in stock, anyway) on Gen 12, Gen 13 and Gen 14. I've taken that as a sign that it's expected to work, but I'd be interested in hearing about real experiences.