qsfp+ switch seems too good to be true

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
Just found this on ebay and was wondering what I'm missing.

So that will give me 32 ports of 40gbe? I still have to buy the modules and cards, but if I'm reading that right, I can get that baseline switch for $750. Are there other better deals like this out there?

also, i have some 10gbe devices (like my qnap), can I put a 10gbe / rj45 module in this and have it work?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I can't say for this particular switch, but it's not too uncommon that you can get beefy 40G QSFP+ switches for little money (or even 56G QSFP+ when you stick with Mellanox).

Just keep in mind that these types of switches are usually loud and power hungry.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are there other better deals like this out there?
There were[1] better deals on 40GBE arista & mellanox switches for less on ebay. Every now and then there are arista 100GBE switches for $1.000 ~ $1.300 and 40GBE for <$500 bo

Quick search on ebay for "arista qsfp switch" shows still some good deals for arista gear, example: Arista DCS-7050QX-32 32-Port 40Gb QSFP+ 4x SFP+ Switch F-R Airflow 2x 460W PSU | eBay

[1]I stopped watching 40GBE stuff almost 2 years ago and started looking for 100GBE gear :D

Edit: I like the arista switches becaase there are many great deals on rear to front models and they support commands to lower the fan speed out of the box

Reactions: AllenAsm

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
so is the key reason these are cheap because you have to use all mellanox or arista gear? What are my options and whats the downside to this?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
so is the key reason these are cheap because you have to use all mellanox or arista gear?
I'm still trying to find a brand that doesn't work on my mellanox or arista switches :D
I have tested mellanox, arista, ibm, finisar, cisco, fs.com, broadcom, brocade, netapp, dell, hp(e), intel and some other vendors that I already forgot transceivers/dacs and had no problems.

I ran a command to enable third party transceivers support on the arista though...

Reactions: Robert Townley

Karl Austin

May 8, 2019
Just found this on ebay and was wondering what I'm missing.
A power supply, fan tray and network operating system to start with :)

So that will give me 32 ports of 40gbe? I still have to buy the modules and cards, but if I'm reading that right, I can get that baseline switch for $750. Are there other better deals like this out there?
Much, as this isn't complete.
also, i have some 10gbe devices (like my qnap), can I put a 10gbe / rj45 module in this and have it work?
No. These are QSFP+ ports, you can get a QSFP+ to 4 x SFP+ to connect up your 10GE, but anything copper is out of luck unless you mess around with a QSA adaptor to convert QSFP+ to SFP - and they run about $70 each + SFP cost.

Look for Arista 7050 if you want cheap 40/10GBE.

Last edited:
Reactions: klui

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
A power supply, fan tray and network operating system to start with :)

Much, as this isn't complete.

No. These are QSFP+ ports, you can get a QSFP+ to 4 x SFP+ to connect up your 10GE, but anything copper is out of look unless you mess around with a QSA adaptor to convert QSFP+ to SFP - and they run about $70 each + SFP cost.

Look for Arista 7050 if you want cheap 40/10GBE.

There are cheaper QSFP to SFP+ adaptors on ebay, but they are still a ridiculous price for a fully passive adaptor :-/ And the you get to deal with the hot running 10GE adaptors too, all in all not a great solution IMHO.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
based on the advice here, this looks like a great switch for what I need. If I buy this, what else do I need?

I assume I also need the QSFP+ modules, whatever cables work with those, NICs for the 5 192g, 64 core, dual xeon servers these will connect together. What else?

Will the arista 7050 need any additional licenses?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
based on the advice here, this looks like a great switch for what I need. If I buy this, what else do I need?

I assume I also need the QSFP+ modules, whatever cables work with those, NICs for the 5 192g, 64 core, dual xeon servers these will connect together. What else?

Will the arista 7050 need any additional licenses?
This is a model with rear to front airflow (blue fans & psus show where the cold air is)
No additional licenses are required.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
I have a 42u colo cabinet with at least 16u of space available so the rear to front airflow won't really be a problem for me (maybe just longer cables).

I bought that switch and it should be delivered next week.

I found some qsfp+ to 4x rj45 10gbe cables which should solve my need for some 10gbe ports super cheaply. The only downside is I can't individually manage those 4 ports. Should be fine though since I need them to send data to/from an enterprise qnap device.

Now I need to get 5 qsfp+ NICs and some qsfp+ cables to tie this all together. I'm assuming this all works on both linux and windows 2019.

Anything else I'm going to need for this? This will be put into my personal hyper v lab so everything will have to work with that.

Reactions: tochnia

Karl Austin

May 8, 2019
I actually prefer rear to front airflow on switches, because I usually mount the switches on the back of the rack (not the front). Makes cable management much easier imho.
Same. Much easier having ports at the back along with the ports for the servers. Makes cable management massively easy compared to running from front to back.

Reactions: klui

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Switches in the hot aisle is standard operating procedure in the data center. It's just for the home you can't see those blinking lights and for those like me who have wall-mounted shallow racks impractical to mount them that way.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
Quick question, I have the arista dcs-7050qx-32s-r qsfp+ switch. This is all going into my 42u colo cabinet so I don't need to reach anything else. Do I need an active or passive transceiver? I'm looking at this one on fs.com.

It says its rated for 150m which is about 148m more than I need. Are there cheaper ones that would work fine as well? Is this even the right one I need? some say bi-directional but this one doesn't?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
This transceiver has MTP/MPO connectors which means that it needs 12 fibres (8 are actually going to be used). MTP/MPO cables are kinda expensive.

If you only need 2m - Why not use a Direct Attach Cable? That would be much cheaper.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
Because I'm a noob on sfp in general. heh. What do I need and I'll get it. 2 or 3m should likely be plenty to reach anywhere in the 42u. Can you give me a link to what I might need?

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
Thats perfect. another stupid question.... do those cables include the transceiver? Do I need to buy separate modules to put in this switch?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Those cables don't have optical transceivers (which is probably what you were referring to). Fixed-length optical cables are called "AOC" (Active Optical Cable), but this is a DAC (Direct Attach Cable).

An optical transceiver converts from electrical to optical signals, which is generally needed if you want to transmit the data over long distances. The definition of "long" depends on the data rate. The higher your data rate the shorter the distance for which you can use passive Direct Attach Cables.

In Summary:
There are three ways to transport (QSFP) data

• Passive Direct Attach Cables -> Only work for short distance, inexpensive
  • Active Optical Cables -> Can work over long distances, but are naturally fixed length. Much more expensive
  • Optical Transceiver + fibre -> Up to 20km depending on your fiber and transceiver type. More expensive, but often the only possibility

Regarding this:

Do I need to buy separate modules to put in this switch?
No. That's why it's called a "Direct Attach Cable". Just plug it in and that's it.

(Q)SFP is a very flexible interface, because it works with both passive (direct attach cables) and active (AOC, Transceiver) devices

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
another stupid question.... do those cables include the transceiver?
That's not a stupid question. Transceiver are devices that can transmit and receive signals, be it optical, electrical or other forms and are the electronics in qsfp(+), sfp(+), cxp, xfp modules. So yes, these cables include the transceivers.
  • Passive Direct Attach Cables -> Only work for short distance, inexpensive
  • Active Optical Cables -> Can work over long distances, but are naturally fixed length. Much more expensive
  • Transceiver + fibre -> Up to 20km depending on your fiber and transceiver type. More expensive, but often the only possibility
There is also a fourth category: active dac cables that allow distances up to 20m, rare -> expensive, same problems that other copper cables have