QSFP ideas?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I've got a bunch of those snipped active QSFPs that're on eBay right now for $3 a piece. It doesn't look like I can use 'em for their intended purpose, and it seems wasteful to buy them and just chuck 'em in the trash. So... Give me some cool ideas for 'em. Keychains, 100m targets, anything. Right now, I'm just having fun tearing them apart. The tactile sensation of screwing the heavy metal pieces together is very zen-like.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea I got a few too. Not worth returning. But fun to have. I was planning just to use in cards on the shelf.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Some pictures. Sorry for the crappy camera quality. One of these days I'll spring for a nic camera. It's only been on my list for a decade or so!

Reactions: Patrick

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Looks like I just went through the exact same thing you guys did over a year ago with these. Did anyone figure out how to use them or are they just key-chains and port covers now?

That seller has offloaded hundreds of them since this thread, some to repeat buyers. Someone out there has to know how to use them...

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Gotcha.

My dreams of running cheap custom length 56gb fiber cables were crushed the moment I popped one open and saw the termination.

I sent the fiber store an email on the off chance they actually knew how to make them, but I'm guessing they've gotten this question so many times that they're about to put it in their FAQ .

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
There are some mechanical splices that a) aren't too hard to do and b) don't cost a huge amount. If you're interested in going down the route of doing more with fibre it might be worth getting the kit to strip, cleave, clean the fibre and align/actuate the splice. I'd normally recommend preterms/trunks for most people but if you've got dangly ends that need homes then that's not much use! If you can get your hands on a MPO pigtail and splice it on it'd make it into a serviceable transceiver.

Actually, blathering on about MPOs it does look a bit like the inner part of an MPO connector...

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I can see using them to replace modules that got stepped on or had the release tabs broken and you thought the fiber was still good. It looks like you can move the fiber from a busted module to a new one pretty easy.

Other than that, maybe hang them in the garden to keep the birds away?