Qnap TVS-872N Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I've posted this question on QNAP community, but so far no answers whatsoever.
Maybe some current QNAP NAS owners could chime in : TVS-872N runs on i3-8100T (coffee lake) which supports quicksync. I plan to run Plex server with hardware encoding enabled using it.
I am also looking to move my current NVR to use QNAP's QVR Pro instead. Stock comes with 8 camera licenses, which should be plenty for me.

My question is: Does QVR Pro uses quicksync in any way (so far it seems like it doesn't, but hardware acceleration is mentioned on client side) uses quicksync and if it indeed does - would that prevent me from using both at the same time?

My goal is to unify all my various boxes (diy NAS, plex running on nuc, few light VMs (except NVR), and a few containers) into one box. Goes without saying that I plan to beef it up with both memory and m.2 SSDs.

QNAPDaniel

Sep 17, 2021
If QVR pro is set up correctly it should not need to transcode video. Many cameras can stream at multiple resolutions at the same time so you can record the full resolution to the NAS and when you view many cameras at once o your screen, that can be the lower resolution stream. So Quicksync should not be needed for QVR pro because transcoding should not be needed.

TVS-872N should be good for this use case. But some more RAM besides the 4GB the NAS comes with might be helpful.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Thank you, Daniel.
Based on your forum name you're working with Qnap or just a Qnap fan? In any case, welcome to STH forums, where I've found homelabers already playing with 100gig networking. :eek:
I actually already purchased TVS-872XT. Expanded it with 2x32GB memory and a few other bobs and bits.
You're correct - at no point, QVR Pro server does quick sync, except on the client-side.

I've decided not to use HuTS Hero since random IO isn't a huge need and data stored is not very hard to replace. I probably will keep offline backups of some of it. Apparently, there is way a to sideload QVR Pro on QuTS Hero, but I rather not do so in OS upgrades for things to break.
Goes without saying that these 8 free channels with QVR Pro are one of the big reasons for me choosing QNAP vs Synology.