QNAP TS-563 Thoughts/Mini-review (Bonus QNAP TS-251+ Nano-Review)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Product: QNAP TS-563 5 Bay
RAM: Upgraded from stock 2gb to 16GB (2x 8GB Crucial)
Drives: 5x 6TB WD Red - WDC WD60EFRX-68L0BN1
Accessory: 10G SFP+ network card - LAN-10G1SR-D
Network Cameras: 2x AXIS M1004-W

I purchased a QNAP TS-563 (2GB RAM). Upgrading the unit to 16GB RAM was easy and straightforward. I loaded the unit with 5x 6TB WD Red hard drives in a RAID 6 configuration. Initialization of the RAID array was straight forward and fairly quick. I also added a QNAP brand 10G SFP+ network card, which was also easy to physically install and required no actions in the software after installation.

I am primarily using the unit for file storage and configured the unit with a single volume that, after snapshot space reservation (~10%) and app installs, has a usable space of 14.28 TB.

My second main application, after file storage, is the Surveillance Station app. Again, it was very easy to get the app configured an up and running with two Axis Cameras.

Performance-wise, over 10G from the QNAP to two servers and a workstation, CrystalDisk performed roughly as follows:

upload_2016-8-26_20-41-19.png

Finally, I spun up an identical setup, application-wise, for my parents using a QNAP TS-251+ upgraded to 8GB RAM, using two 4TB WD Reds in a RAID 1 configuration, and three AXIS cameras. Setup and configuration was as easy as it was for the TS-563.

Both units are using Dynamic DNS clients to facilitate usage of the iOS VMobile app to view the cameras while on the road. The VMobile app is easy to configure and use and has presented me with no problems thus far.

I may spin up a VM using the QNAPs Virtualization station at some point. If I do, I will update this post with any thoughts.

Last edited:

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
So far as I can tell, EXT4 is the only option available for internal drives on QTS. External drives appear to have some flexibility: EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+.