QNAP TS-1685 vs Synology DS3617xs Battle of the NAS Behemoths!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

William

May 7, 2015
Yeah I was thinking the same thing tbh. However the jump in price of better processors in steep.
It still might be a good box for my needs tho.

I do a fair amount of video encoding, mostly using Movavi Video Converter on a separate machine. I was thinking a Windows VM for this and a USB DVD drive. Might be asking to much tho with the ARM box.

William

May 7, 2015
Very nice job !!

Its much bigger than I thought it was. But dang, that's a sweet NAS !

William

May 7, 2015
One thing I realized the TS1635, it has an ARM Cortex-A15 Quad Core 1.7GHz and not x86 so it cannot run Windows based VMs :(

How's your machine working out for you ?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
@msvirtualguy
I been looking at the same QNAP-TS1685 with the 6core cpu and either 64gb/128 build. I wanted to see how you like it?
Also i wanted to ask you some questions
1. do you know if the 10g baset can be converted over to sfp+ easily?
2. Have you ran any vms on it? I been thinking of consolidating storage and my prob vm onto the box. It should be enough power to manage the following I would think: I'm thinking of moving my home prod servers on to it. WS2012r2e for home storage, client backups. Sophos for UTM for internet security, Wazo for office VOIP, w10 desktop for work, 2012R2s server for development. Possibly a minecraft server.
3. how power usage without drives, when it idles?
4. do you know if it sata only or will it take sas drives?

Thanks for you help.

ereboreum

Apr 8, 2023
Ok..ordered the TS-1685-D1521-32G-US from Newegg..cheapest I could find with no tax and free 2-3 day shipping in stock.

The plan is to start with the 32GB RAM then expand over time when ECC RDIMM DDR4 memory get's to prices within reasonable sanity levels.

I have 6 x 4TB Seagate NAS Drives to start. I'll be phasing them out with 10TB Iron Wolfs over time as well. For Caching, i'm going to use 2 x Intel S3700s 200GB in a Mirror. For SSD Tiering, i'll be leveraging 4 x Samsung 853 DC 480 SSDs. And for NVR storage, i'll have 4 x 1TB Seagate 2.5" SSD/HDD Hybrids in a RAID5. I think that will be a good start. Hopefully, have enough RAM to run at least one VM for now for Domain/DNS services so I can remove the physical NUC that's running Domain/DNS services now..and a migration to Windows Server 2016 as well.

I'll keep the PX4-300d for backups until I choose a cloud service that suits my needs and Spectrum gets off their asses and upgrades my Internet that they been promising for a year to get my upload beyond the measly 6Mb they are providing.

@Patrick, if you want to use this for review before I put in production, please let me know. I'm game and in no hurry really.
what is maximum single volume JBOD config can this one take? Can I put in twelve 20TB hdds (of course with upgraded SODIMMs)

ereboreum

Apr 8, 2023
I have a DS3617xs and I just hooked up a DX1215II expansion unit. When adding drives I realized that the JBOD single volume for a storage pool is restricted to 200TB. Any work around this limitation?