QNAP TBS-453DX - 4x m.2 SATA mini-NAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This one is cute. Lots of possibilities beyond just a NAS if you can open the BIOS and boot something other than QNAPs OS on it.

J4105 low power CPU, 4 SATA m.2 slots, N-Base-T (10/5/2.5/1 gbe support). Really solid packaging.

The J4105 CPU continues the tradition of Intel’s J-series, spec’d for only 8GB of RAM but proven in the field to support 32GB with 16GB SO-DIMMS (and rumors flying that it will actually do 64GB if you can get your hands on 32GB SO-DIMMS).

It’s a bit pricy - $499 for the 4GB version. But if you could get your hands on a small stack of these plus a bunch of 2TB WD Blue M.2’s and a cheap 10Gbase-T switch you’d have a heck of a low power lab for Proxmox+Ceph, K8s or other fun stuff.

TBS-453DX - Features

@Patrick - would be really cool if you could get your hands on one and do a review (especially check to see if you can access to BIOS to boot something more “fun”).

• Love
Reactions: Dayo and William

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Anybody know if QNAP cachemount is a closed or open source ? Looks cool.

Dayo

May 5, 2022
I'm planning to use it as a ceph backend only, here is the process :

- OS installed on a USB Flash drive (128GB MLC)
- The first 3 M.2 will be used as ceph osd
- The 4th M.2 will be used to add a 2nd 10gbe NIC (with the awesome Innodisk EGPL-T101) - I don't know yet how to implement it inside the box, but I think I could figure it out.
- Finally, I will use the Corsair SO-DIMM 16 GB 2400 MHz to pimp up the nas as the J4105 seem to allow it

This make an awesome build, very small (may find a place inside the tinyminimicro project?), silent, low powered and yet powerful !