QFSP to SQFP QDR Infiniband 100m Fiber $45 or less + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I thought for sure it was listed as 100M when I originally saw it, but now I see it's 30M. I must have been really tired when I posted this.

Still probably longer than anyone needs, but indeed a great deal. I wonder how hard it is to cut these down to size?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I have terminated and spliced fiber by hand. It's do-able with the right gear, but it makes about as much sense as building your own DB9 serial cables. Splicing uses even more expensive equipment than terminating, and I have a notion that Infiniband cables use multiple fibers, which would be an even greater challenge.

I thought for sure it was listed as 100M when I originally saw it, but now I see it's 30M. I must have been really tired when I posted this.

Still probably longer than anyone needs, but indeed a great deal. I wonder how hard it is to cut these down to size?

Last edited:

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Finally broke down and purchased 2 connectx 2 cards. Just trying to determine if these cables are designed for 40Gb/s infiniband or 10Gb/s ethernet as these cards can do both. Any help would be appreciated!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
qsfp to 4 sfp converters do exist but do they work for nic's or switch only???

Would make an awesome PC-switch if you had two connectx-3 cards and break out cables!! 8 ports per nic

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Finally broke down and purchased 2 connectx 2 cards. Just trying to determine if these cables are designed for 40Gb/s infiniband or 10Gb/s ethernet as these cards can do both. Any help would be appreciated!
ConnectX-2 cards that have QSFP ports support both Infiniband (DDR or DDR/QDR depending on the model number) and 10Gb Ethernet. The same cards with SFP+ ports are 10GbE only.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply DBA. That didn't answer my question though. I'm specifically asking about the fabric. Are these cables capable of transmitting 40Gb infiniband as well as 10Gb ethernet? I ask since there is electronics involved for the optics. Are they rated for both speeds/communication standards or are they specific to one standard or the other?

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
QSFP will work for 10GbE and IB. SFP+ will only do 10GbE. If going from a Mellanox card to Mellanox card or switch, QSFP will act as either a 10GbE channel or as a IB channel, not both. You can get QSFP to SFP+ adapters like this if you want to go from a Mellanox ConnectX(2|3) VPI card to 10GbE SFP+. VPI cards can be software selected to what protocol they use.

@mrkrad That is an interesting idea, but I am going to guess no because the ASIC would have to address four independent channels vs just narrowing a single channel.

Last edited: