Q: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F cooling?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jimmy_1969

Jul 22, 2015
Jakarta
Hi Gents,

I am playing with the idea of putting a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F in a U-NAS NSC-800 case.

After reading about others experience with this board in compact cases I thought it could be a good idea to explore the possibility of fitting an extra fan on the CPU heat sink. But I can't find any info about the height of the MOBO (especially heat sink height).

Was hoping for the forum members to come to the rescue. Anyone who could provide the heat sink height?

Additionally, would love to hear if anyone has squeezed in a D-15x0 in a small factor case and have any recommendations for a silent CPU fan.

Best Regards

//Jimmy

Last edited:

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
I have this board and used a Noctua 60cm fan similar to Supermicro X10SDV-F Build; Datacenter in a Box - b3n.org though i used a drop of all temperature epoxy on each screw head to secure the rubber feet. Works perfectly so far.

EDIT: whups, re-read your post and realized you aren't running one yet.

So my impressions... long term this will be an incredible mobo for any small form factor application requiring low core/hyperthread count and higher clock speed... most especially storage. Currently the downside is poor OS support for the embedded 10GE ports.

For now I have this running on Freenas 9.3.1, but I had to use an Intel PCIe X540-T2 instead of embedded 10GE.. This along with six 4TB drives on the embedded SATA, no ZIL or L2ARC. Case is a Silverstone DS380. I don't have hard performance numbers but so far CIFS and NFS performance seems to be "damn good".

Long term my plan is to use the embedded 10GE ports once support is better, and add one LSI 9207 so I can use all eight hot swap bays. Using a 12 or 16 bay hot-swap rack mount chassis with additional HBAs may also be an option with bifurcation and the appropriate riser card. I am looking forward to finding out!

Last edited:

Diavuno

I've been given the chance to work with one of these boards... pretty awesome little giant!

You can do what I did with my X8 desktop (tylersburg chipsets are hot!)

find the pitch of the heatsink fins and goto the local hardware store.

I have a 40MM fan running on a speedcontrol with 4 course thread screws going through the fan and into the heatsink fins.

for low noise get a few washers between the fan and heatsink on the screws.

(IIRC I used 1.5MM screws 18MM long with 3x #10 washers per corner)

Reactions: Chuckleb

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I've been given the chance to work with one of these boards... pretty awesome little giant!
Ha! I was just looking around the lab trying to figure out where mine was. Then realized you have it :)

D

Deleted member 5319

Can you guys comment on roughly how hot the Xeon-D runs at idle and under load with your cooling setups (with a fan stuck on top)? I'm interested in getting one of these boards, but the only issue is that the room where my current server is in gets a bit warm (~80F). I have a giant E-ATX box with a big Zalman copper heatsink on my Xeon E3 and it stays under 60C at load, which is probably overkill. I'd like to shrink down the form factor of my server considerably, but I'm worried about the cooling setup of this thing.

If I could put an aftermarket heatsink on I could be guaranteed that it would stay cool, but I have no idea if that's possible given the non-standard form factor of the CPU. Alternatively I guess I could try to use some higher quality thermal paste?

wazoo42

Apr 13, 2016
I have only tested my cooling changes on one unit thus far, but I did not get much of a change until I put an 80 mm Sunon fan on it. Even that gain was only a few degrees C. However, replacing the stock HSF with a custom HSF lowered the idle temps from 35 C to 30 C and the load temps from 60 - 65 C to 48-53 C.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have only tested my cooling changes on one unit thus far, but I did not get much of a change until I put an 80 mm Sunon fan on it. Even that gain was only a few degrees C. However, replacing the stock HSF with a custom HSF lowered the idle temps from 35 C to 30 C and the load temps from 60 - 65 C to 48-53 C.
What kind of custom HSF did you use?

wazoo42

Apr 13, 2016
I should have posted the link to my lengthier reply (with pics) before. It is an aluminum heatsink from Alpha technologies that I worked with them to design. It needed a few tweaks upon arrival, but nothing a few minutes with a file could not fix.

Required cooling for X10SDV-F?