Q: Single ATX Power Supply as Multi-Voltage, Multi-Device centralized DC power bank ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
Could a standard ATX power supply be used to power multiple devices simultaneously ?
+5V to multiple SBC/RasbPi
+12V to Misc Router/Firewall/Desktop Switch (all originally 12V DC units of course)
+12V to Fans, lights etc.

Using an ATX 'breakout' board such as this:
61VIYYeXEvL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Does this sound a little too 'Mickey Mouse' ?
I simply want to cut down on all of the SQUARE power adapters that always seem to take up unreasonable space on a PDU (depending on socket spacing).
I am just looking for a way to clean up my rack.

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016
No reason why it wouldn't work, but even an ATX power supply is pretty bulky, even more so if you have a breakout board like that.
A normal enclosed power supply is much more compact and will probably suit you better.
For example: MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer
Even if you already have ATX power supplies lying around, I would still reconsider due to the bulkiness of such a setup.

paf

Sep 21, 2020
Portugal
Those adapters like the one you posted are very "cheaply" made. For instance, it seems the connectors accept "banana" plugs but they don't!
The top part only works as a "nut handle"...

A good "server grade" (not "gamer grade") PSU will be cheaper (recycled) than a Meanwell PSU, but it will have a fan , and it can supply an big, Big, BIG CURRENT, in the case of a short circuit.

Meanwell PSUs have a very good reputation.

There are always trade-offs.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
They make large wall warts with multiple outputs. I have one that has 4x outputs for my audio gear from 1 large wall adapter.
Maybe this is the best way to go?

Allan74

May 15, 2019
Not that I am a big proponent of the Brand Name (from my car audio days, Pyle = garbage).....but I think I found a better way for Rackmount RaspberryPi power consolidation:

6108pZGWwwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I will continue looking for something from a more reputable Brand, but I think this (for the 5V) is the way for me.