[Q] Cheapest Pallet Shipping Options, Coast-to-Coast

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Does anyone have a "lowest price" shipping company from CA to NY?

I have never shipped myself; but, I have received quite a lot over the years to know enough about how there's multiple pockets to fill:

- "Shipping/Pickup company" that has the truck to pickup the freight and take to distribution center.
- "Long-haul Company" flat rate pricing (usually on trains, truck shipping if route is too far or last 100s of miles) from distribution center to distribution center.
- "Delivery Company" that takes it from the distribution center, for last mile delivery.

Usually the way a "shipping" quote works is the "Shipping" company adds in their fee + long-haul flat rate fees + delivery company options in the area (and the buddy-buddy system is in full effect here).

I've had complete engines shipped to me before, where we cut out the first and third companies - and I just picked it up from a distribution center. That was 20 years ago where I lived pretty close to one of the train hubs.

These days, however, I'm not finding a lot of information. Maybe they cracked down, or maybe they don't let muggles into distribution centers now?

I've found out that the Shipping companies range in prices greatly. And some Delivery companies tack on a "Home Delivery" fee of hundreds at times (at the ones up here do).

So, wondering if anyone has done this recently and best way to get quotes.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've used Forward Air to ship pallets and boxed\wooded items like machinery, axles, engines, etc. I either have built the box\crate or put the item on the pallet and strapped it down then I load it up, and drop off at FOrward Air. They will use forklift to get out of the back of truck or trailer. They also are good on the phone at giving quotes if you can estimate the weight\size pretty accurately. The only issue is there has to be another Forward Air location to ship to. These places are usually open late too so that's nice.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
I typically use a company that gives quotes out from all over. Along with checking fedex / UPS freight options as well.

It's crazy the different pricing you get from all the different companies out there. :(
I've yet to find a single company who was just good all around.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Don't think you're going to find a single company that is consistently the cheapest. I've been pretty happy with R+L for LTL. I had a pair of shipments through YRC a few months ago and I was not happy with them, so I can't recommend them. First sat at the local depot for a week before they would schedule a delivery and the second shipment they lost completely. How you misplace 1000lbs of servers is beyond me...