EXPIRED PWS-1K28P-SQ $70

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Just to be clear, the SQ's are the quiet versions right?
What would be the easiest way to find out if they work with my chassis?
Does Supermicro have some sort of compatibility matrix or so?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes. And it depends on your chassis revision/ Power distribution board thats in your box.
Which one is it (Chassis/Revision/PDB)? I assume someone here can tell;)

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Good question, I picked up an old 16x 3.5" 3U case, no idea what model.
Will scour the inside for a part number tomorrow

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
so an sc836 most likely, if its quite old then it might need a new PDB. Which pdb is really needed for SQ is often a case for discussion, not sure re the final verdict to be honest and little info from SM re older chassis.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The 1280W SQ PSU has a wider connector and therefore requires a PDU that can handle the higher current. The 920W one can fit in both types, hence the higher price that it commands even though it's lower power.

Reactions: Talyrius

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Be VERY careful that your case supports these suckers. I bought 2 of them and they did NOT fit my chassis at all.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Be VERY careful that your case supports these suckers. I bought 2 of them and they did NOT fit my chassis at all.
You can always use a dremel and shave these down a bit to fit but that does require some patience and a bit of work.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You can always use a dremel and shave these down a bit to fit but that does require some patience and a bit of work.
I would highly recommend against that. They're keyed differently for a reason. While I'm all for DIY stuff normally, trying to defeat the built in safety measures like this is a bad idea. Just spend the few extra dollars on the 920W version of the PSU if the 1280W one won't fit your chassis.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
No. Hell no. For the price difference get something that works, save yourself time/money/effort. You can screw things up heavily for the PSU and your server if you do something wrong.
I'd recommend just buying the appropriate PDB on eBay [advertising link] or from the Supermicro Store, etc. - if you go to the Supermicro web page for the particular chassis model / power supply combination, you'll find the proper PDB part number. All of them should interchange as long as you stay within the non-HA (3-fan fan wall) or HA (4-fan), depending on which your chassis has. The HA use different PDBs which support 3 power supplies or 2 power supplies + BBU and have the front mounting tab in a different place. You can cross non-HA / HA PDUs, but you won't be able to screw them in completely if you do that.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm one of the folks who bought 2 of the PSUs from the OP's listing. I'm returning them.

1 of the PSUs has some loose components inside and rattles; I'm not going to even try plugging it in. the 2nd one has physical damage to the sheet metal of the rear vent hole. This seller sure likes to put all sorts of stickers on the item (which I wish they didn't) like "Inspected/R2/Ready for reuse" blah blah... I just wish they actually did some sort of inspection/testing instead of putting a bunch of pointless stickers on the item.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Often the PSU 'cage' metal over the rear fan is dented inward on the ones I Receive bare, or in chassis and those edges/side pieces I have some that were bent completely that required re-bending @()%@*%@... def. wouldn't use any with a piece shaking around that's crazy though!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Prolly that screw someone dropped in, but never found again!

They should have put a "Ready to burn your house down" sticker on that one :D:p

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Often the PSU 'cage' metal over the rear fan is dented inward on the ones I Receive bare, or in chassis and those edges/side pieces I have some that were bent completely that required re-bending @()%@*%@... def. wouldn't use any with a piece shaking around that's crazy though!
Yeah, I can understand how it could happen if something dented the sheet metal inward, but this looked something caught the rear exhaust vent and pulled it outward!!

Those stickers just annoyed me ... considering the condition

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
oh, ok! that is odd.

Maybe it was dented in and they pulled it out?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
well, here we go.... i sent in the request for return a little while ago. the seller appears to be ignoring my messages.... i'm not even going to bother with eBay/PayPal to dispute this; my CC issuer usually makes a spot decision and issues me credit immediately with a 5 minute form i fill out online. argh...