Putting servers into storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hey all, I'm going to put some assembled 1U servers and some associated parts (boxes of RAM, CPUs, etc) in storage for six months until I can get them into their respective colos.

I've found a large-enough storage locker at a nice and clean, 24-hour access storage facility within walking distance from my residence. They assure me that it is ventilatd well and there is no problem with damp, however it's not actively air conditioned or heated.

What are the things I need to watch out for when putting computers like this into storage? I think the possibility of damp worries me most, however I'm sure there's other stuff I've missed.

For example, is it better to leave the RAM installed or should I take it out?

Should I simply ensure that they're securely packed in boxes and throw a few dessicant sachets in each one?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
good locks... you are placing equipment in a location where someone can open up your locker and remove your stuff...

Chris

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Honestly id rather use my garage than put any equipment in storage but if your putting ram in storage be sure its a temperature controlled environment and properly case the ram in the proper ram packaging.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
A friend's basement or attic would be way better than any cold storage location, but if you insist on going that route, at least pack em in those vacuum bags you use for storing bedding etc, throw in some silica gel packs, seal em up and suck the air out of the bags. Then carefully box them up so that nothing can pierce the bags when transporting and storing them :)

Reactions: pgh5278

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I would also advise strongly against putting computers in storage without some humidity control (and hence basic temperature control).
It does not take long for rust and general ick to build up on servers and components that can destroy your equipment over time.
Storing it somewhere that is an office environment or a storage unit where the limit the temperature swings and you can keep equipment there as long as needed.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
The non-operating ratings of computer equipment is very generous. I would not worry about environmental.

u-rent places are notorious for selling your crap is you are late on your payments. This is not a problem if you are comfortable with your ability to make your payments.

The less you do to the gear the better. If stuffing it in your family basement is not an option, then u-rentals are ok as long as you recognize the risks. They auction your crap quick if you are late to pay.