PSU Power Distribution advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Melgas

Apr 10, 2013
Hi,

I'm considering build rack solution with four mini-itx boards with i3 intel.

Like supermicro twin solutions, I would like to use only one power supply. I don't mind to use one of them psu's but my problem is to find a power distributor that can be used to power all the boards.

On ebay we can find several options but only for two motherboards.
Supermicro PDB PT808 S20 1U SC808 Power Distributor Plus Extension | eBay

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Melgas

Apr 10, 2013
Hy Hanss,

Can you send me an image link of that adapter you are talking about? Thanks.

Melgas

Apr 10, 2013
Thanks Hanss,

Do you know what happen if I turn off one of the systems? The psu should turn of too, right?

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
You're right, so should not be. I have carefully considered the proposed device and realized that it's not right for You.
All homemade products that will not work correctly.

I was deceived the name of "Zippy". EMACS accessories do not include a cable.:mad:

Last edited:

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
Power distribution units must have switches on each rails of all consumers.
You will be better to use the converter 12VDC in ATX.
For example:

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The use of 12VDC ATX PSU's is the best answer for the questioned posed. They can be had with outputs of up to 150W mean you just required a 12VDC supply. Most can handle a wider range with some being able to take up to 48VDC allowing some very efficient running of batteries and supplies.

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
You're right, Lost-Benji, but You are right in theory.
In practice, it happens that the loss on shipping 12VDC smaller than the loss to convert 24/48VDC to 12VDC. In addition, a device with an input voltage above 19VDC expensive to manufacture.
A good example - power laptops or monitors.
But You are right, if the need for effective running of batteries, you need to spend money.

Melgas

Apr 10, 2013
Thanks Guys.

Pico PSU would be an option but I would like to use only one power supply instead of using four ac adapters.
What I'm looking for is a power distribution board.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
You need a nice beefy power supply, possibly some diodes and de-coupling capacitors if you want to do it properly.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I keep reading this and keep having trouble thinking about how I would do it. Four boards with one PSU is not the easiest thing to do. Very interested in the project though.