PSU fans very loud and CPU Temps volatile

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
Hello,
I just received a new Asus ESC8000 G4 box and equipped it with 2 Xeon Gold 6154. The case comes with 3 PSU which I all connected to power. I really like this particular server for my Deep learning work.

But those things bother me which I need to figure out and thought someone might chime in:

1) the psu fans are quite loud. I have 10 gpu fans and multiple cpu and system fans and I can regulate all of them in the bios and they are not loud at all under normal load. With normal I mean when gpus are in idle mode and do not draw much power neither do the CPUs when idling. But the psu fans are very loud and don't quiet down. Is there a bios setting I should check out or anyone with experience in this area who can give me some advice?

2) the idle operating temperature of the cpu cores is around 38-40 degrees. (room temperature is around 15 degrees a Celsius) That appears a little high for me but still manageable. However a second or so after starting a cpu stress test the CPU core temperatures jumps right to high 80s. Is that normal to happen that fast? I have highly efficient cpu coolers with fans on each one. I am afraid that the stock thermal patch between cpu and cooler that aims to dissipate heat away from the CPU onto the cooler might not be efficient? I have not used any 3rd party thermal paste, the patch was already attached to the cpu cooler and according to the manual of my server there is no additional thermal paste necessary. Am I doing something wrong? Under heavy load the CPU core Temps show as high 80s, but the CPU cooler is literally cold. So I suspect there is an issue with heat dissipation? Any advice or thoughts? Again it's a Xeon Gold 6154 dual CPU setup.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Not sure about (1) but for (2) I'd check to make sure the CPU coolers are properly mounted.

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
I did, I am sure they are properly mounted. What iam not sure of is how effective the thermal patch is and about the ideal torque/pressure between cpu and cooler and the impact of variations on heat dissipation.

Not sure about (1) but for (2) I'd check to make sure the CPU coolers are properly mounted.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
However a second or so after starting a cpu stress test the CPU core temperatures jumps right to high 80s. Is that normal to happen that fast?
Was it a real or a synthetic workload?
And yes, cpus can get very hot in a short time. I think thg had a post in 2003/2004 about prescott pentium 4's and said that they generate more heat per square cm than a stove.

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
I stressed the CPUs with CPU-Z stress test. After 1-2 seconds the CPUs reached temperatures of around 89-92 degrees Celsius. Isn't that too high too fast? What worries me is that even after running the stress test for several minutes the CPU coolers were still cold while the CPU cores reported temperatures as mentioned above. That appears quite weird.

Was it a real or a synthetic workload?
And yes, cpus can get very hot in a short time. I think thg had a post in 2003/2004 about prescott pentium 4's and said that they generate more heat per square cm than a stove.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I stressed the CPUs with CPU-Z stress test. After 1-2 seconds the CPUs reached temperatures of around 89-92 degrees Celsius. Isn't that too high too fast? What worries me is that even after running the stress test for several minutes the CPU coolers were still cold while the CPU cores reported temperatures as mentioned above. That appears quite weird.
I once received a brand-new Lenovo TD350 tower server where one of the heatsinks was clocked 90* the wrong way. There are mounting pins to align the heatsink and they were preventing it from making any contact with the CPU.

It still managed to boot and install windows though... :)

Riley

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
Turned out the psu fans cannot be adjusted. Without hardware modifications.

By the way, for anyone who is interested in the ESC8000 and pcie bifurcation capabilities, I contacted Asus and they actually created a custom bios for me that allows for bifurcation of the pcie lanes despite that not being a feature in the standard bios versions. Pm me if interested in the custom bios version or contact Asus support. Wanted to point this out as praiseworthy and how customer service and support does at times care about client needs.