PSA / FIX: SuperMicro "no iKVM64 in java.library.path"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
This is a public service announcement to SuperMicro owners who can't get the Java console to work any more. Honestly, I thought I'd solved this before, but I couldn't get the Console Redirection to work any time this year on the set of X9DRi-LN4F boards I have.

They've been upgraded to the last version 3.61 and configuration wiped (as per the Readme). On attempting to load the Java applet, on Windows with the AdoptOpenJDK v8 runtime I get this:

no iKVM64 in java.library.path

On Linux with OpenJDK 11.0.10 I get:

no iKVM64 in java.library.path: [list of paths checked].

I've tried adding the following hints to the .JNLP file as indicated by a few articles, without luck:

<property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
<property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true"/>

Doesn't matter which OS stanza I add it to, no change.

Running at the command line I get the following output, including an obvious error:

~/Downloads$ javaws launch.jnlp
selected jre: /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
WARNING: package javax.jnlp not in java.desktop
Gtk-Message: 21:13:11.540: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Unable to use Firefox's proxy settings. Using "DIRECT" as proxy type.
selected jre: /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option PermSize; support was removed in 8.0
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
WARNING: package javax.jnlp not in java.desktop
Gtk-Message: 21:13:12.968: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Unable to use Firefox's proxy settings. Using "DIRECT" as proxy type.
You are trying to get resource https://w.x.y.z:443/liblinux_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar but it is not in cache and could not be downloaded.
Attempting to continue, but you may expect failure
JAR https://w.x.y.z:443/liblinux_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar not found. Continuing.
sun.misc.Launcher not found. Running jdk9 or higher? Using unsecure BootClassLoader
JAR https://w.x.y.z:443/liblinux_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar not found. Continuing.
Codebase matches codebase manifest attribute, and application is signed. Continuing. See: Preventing the Repurposing of an Application for details.
Starting application [tw.com.aten.ikvm.KVMMain] ...

If I browse the strings in the BMC firmware update (SMT_X9_361.bin) I can see that the only file matching liblinux is this one:

~/Downloads$ strings SMT_X9_361.bin | grep liblinux
liblinux_x86__V1.0.5.jar.pack.gz

If I look for libwin (for Windows) I also see only an x86 version:

~/Downloads$ strings SMT_X9_361.bin | grep libwin
libwin_x86__V1.0.5.jar.pack.gz

This brought forth an epiphany.

I killed off all the x64 JDK and JREs I had installed, and installed the x86 JRE (and the x86-86 IcedTea). Restarted the tools and the console opened first time.

pgsengstock

Apr 28, 2020
Can you elaborate? I'm assuming you did this under Windows? I can't find x86 anything for Linux anymore...

Thanks!