Proxy Server to archive visited websites

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LL0rd

Feb 25, 2020
Hey guys, I have a problem, I'd like to solve. Maybe some one can help me with it. I need some kind of caching proxy with a permanent cache. Something like archive.org.

The main problem I'm facing is, that sometimes I'm reading an article on a website. Accidentally I click on a link in the article, that leads me to another page. But when I go back, the article is gone. It's been removed or behind a paywall. For example: Yesterday I was looking for an apartment on a foreclosure auction. Today it's not on the site any longer. Even the direct link from the history does not work.

So I'd like to have a history, where I can see the served site as it was at a special date. Is there a solution for this? Years ago I did a similar setup for my school, where there was a log about the accessed sites with squid and squid_guard. But there was also no saved content, that was served.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
~10 year or so ago I used HTTrack to archive some sites, not sure how it holds up with modern sites and stuff like angular etc.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
You can configure squid to store the pages. But the problem with modern pages is that they aren't always simply stored as-is; dynamically loaded content might not be part of the initial page and might not be cached the way you expect it to. Since a lot of JS frameworks use cache busters to fix bad browser behaviour or allow for hot-reloads during updates it might even be a problem where your proxy has the right content but the request automatically is updated based on things like date/time.

Perhaps an experiment to see how well it still works is your best path forward.