Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I'm interested in setting up a 4 node Proxmox cluster, but I have never used it before.

I used to work with VMware on a regular basis and understand it.

I was wondering if Proxmox has a similar feature as VCenter, to see and manage all the nodes?

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I'm interested in setting up a 4 node Proxmox cluster, but I have never used it before.

I used to work with VMware on a regular basis and understand it.

I was wondering if Proxmox has a similar feature as VCenter, to see and manage all the nodes?
Yea, they have a web interface that manages everything for the most part. Check the Proxmox site, they have some demo's on mgmt. You'll still need to do some deeper stuff from the CLI and knowing basic Linux would be helpful.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I made this switch from VMware around 9 months ago, I like it a lot. The fact that it sits on Debian allows for some greater flexibility and better hardware compatibility.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Has anyone install Proxmox with fiber channel adapters? All of my servers have Emulex LP11000 cards installed.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
If you're going for 4 nodes, you may actually consider going for 5 nodes. The reason being N+1 vs N+2 resilience:

The cluster (the same goes for Ceph, should you decide to run it on there) requires a _majority_ of members to be up to run properly. In other words: th quorum is the next integer number _above_ half the number of cluster nodes. For 4 nodes, that number is 3, so you can have at most one cluster member off-line. However, for 5 nodes, it is also 3, so you can have 2 cluster members off-line.

The latter gives you N+2 resiliency.