Proxmox vs. ESXi...what am I losing?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Hyper-V free ?
Yes I know that's off the original topic but the last posts about home lab options I think it's worth a mention, of course depends how you like windows or not :)
Can't pass through USB devices in Hyper-V and make them available to the VM pre-OS boot. Besides my home network is way more than a home lab ;).

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Yea, something to do with Hyper-V using the windows storage subsys rather than the actual USB bus. Also only works if the device is tagged as a mass storage device. Hyper-V really is weak sauce compared to what else is out there :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Out of interest does anybody know of any recent usage statistics of the hypervisors ?
I would imagine ESX out in front by a mile then KVM, probably Hyper-V, and then Xen.
Don't hear much about Xen/Citrix these days...

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
Out of interest does anybody know of any recent usage statistics of the hypervisors ?
I would imagine ESX out in front by a mile then KVM, probably Hyper-V, and then Xen.
I think it would make an enormous difference whether or not you include AWS EC2 and GCE in that list. EC2 is loosely based on Xen last I knew. Not sure about GCE.

EDIT: Apparently GCE is KVM. Google Compute Engine - Wikipedia

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If it was a complete review of all Hypervisors in all industry segments I'd put down money that Xen is the most used - and the race is not close. In fact, Xen might have more than 50% total share.

Of course, that counts the specialized version of Xen that you can't load on your home system - the highly customized version of Xen that powers all of AWS :)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
yes, forgot about xen in aws - this makes it for sure much bigger than it is in enterprise / home usage.
citrix xenserver seems to be somehow fallen a sleep - i watched closely what happened for a while, but nothing exciting new since 7.0
when i think back i somehow liked it, but feel much better on a daily work with proxmox.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
if you are using zfs on proxmox... backup becomes extremely easy.... or better yet using glusterfs on zfs accross your pve nodes... you can have a share storage cluster (file based easily)

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
FWIW if you wanted to go down the HyperV route, there is always the MSDN route for licensing individually it's expensive but with corp discounts through work it could be cheap....sometimes it's also listed as an add-on for VS licensing.