Proxmox / VM storage on NAS over 10GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azop

Jul 2, 2020
I'm looking at deploying two Proxmox servers on the same LAN. I have a third server with FreeNAS installed and all servers have 10GbE (fiber if that matters). I'd like to host 3 VM's (MSSQL VM, Windows 10 VM and a CentOS VM) on the FreeNAS server which would host a different of pools with SATA and SSD (all 6gb/s).

Is there any reason not to do this? Would you recommend iSCSI, NFS or iSCSI w/ ZFS? Eventually it would be nice to migrate the VMs between the two servers (not as a cluster really...just move them if the host needs a reboot).

Thanks

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
If you want to cluster the Proxmox servers for easy migration, you'll need a 3rd device for the quorum, this can be a Raspberry Pi. If you do not want to cluster them, this makes VM migration a step more tedious.
I used to run FreeNAS as storage, now I run Proxmox as a storage device for everything, I found there was no real need for me to have VM's and storage on FreeNAS and Proxmox, as Proxmox can be a NAS as well. Sharing in ZFS and NFS is easy, zfs set sharenfs=on pool/mypool and for SMB zfs set sharesmb=on pool/mypool. This will eliminate the need for FreeNAS and you can use all 3 hosts in a Proxmox cluster.
I present all my storage to Proxmox using NFS.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
If you want to cluster the Proxmox servers for easy migration, you'll need a 3rd device for the quorum, this can be a Raspberry Pi. If you do not want to cluster them, this makes VM migration a step more tedious.
I used to run FreeNAS as storage, now I run Proxmox as a storage device for everything, I found there was no real need for me to have VM's and storage on FreeNAS and Proxmox, as Proxmox can be a NAS as well. Sharing in ZFS and NFS is easy, zfs set sharenfs=on pool/mypool and for SMB zfs set sharesmb=on pool/mypool. This will eliminate the need for FreeNAS and you can use all 3 hosts in a Proxmox cluster.
I present all my storage to Proxmox using NFS.
How do you deal with the storage node being a single point of failure for the cluster? I removed the other hosts in my setup because if the host with the drives go down the entire setup goes down anyway.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
How do you deal with the storage node being a single point of failure for the cluster? I removed the other hosts in my setup because if the host with the drives go down the entire setup goes down anyway.
You need clustered storage, glusterfs is a good option, how to is here.
Ceph is also a good option, how to is here.
Or you could add another device into the mix as storage only.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
I'm using this setup with a CIFS share. I typically only have 1 vm server, except when I need to do repair on it. Then I add an identical server to the cluster & move everything to the CIFS share and migrate the vms.

Then I take down the original node I'm going to upgrade do the upgrade & bring it back up & move everything back.

Last edited: