Proxmox Virtio Win drivers above 10Gb?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Is it possible to get the Virtio network drivers for Windows guests to run above 10Gb on Promxox/KVM?

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Boy, I am asleep at the wheel today. I read this post all wrong LOL. I also have been thinking it's Friday all damn day. Nothing ruins your Friday when you realize it's Thursday.

Reactions: RobstarUSA

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Nope. In my opinion Virtio sees every adapter as 10Gbit and can't provide higher throughput. You would need to passthrough hardware and install respective drivers for the hardware.

SamDabbers

Apr 12, 2017
There's nothing specifically limiting Virtio to 10Gbit except the speed of memory copies and efficiency of the hypervisor in processing the guest interrupts. The adapter just shows the link speed as "10Gbit" to the guest but that doesn't mean it can't possibly exceed that throughput (for example, guest-to-guest) since there's not a PHY that's operating at that particular speed.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
There's nothing specifically limiting Virtio to 10Gbit except the speed of memory copies and efficiency of the hypervisor in processing the guest interrupts. The adapter just shows the link speed as "10Gbit" to the guest but that doesn't mean it can't possibly exceed that throughput (for example, guest-to-guest) since there's not a PHY that's operating at that particular speed.
Seems odd then that I'm capped at about 1.1-1.2GB/s between guests on the same NVMe striped zpool.

EDIT: Nvmd...just realized one of the guests is on a RAID10 zpool of 4 Intel S4600's so that 1.1GB/s is exactly as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: gb00s