Proxmox VE 7.0 has been released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I did not see any stories on the front page or in the forum, so I will do my citizenship duty here:

Proxmox VE 7.0 has been released.

From the article:

What’s new in Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.0
This major release brings a large set of new enhancements:

• Ceph Pacific 16.2: Proxmox Virtual Environment fully integrates Ceph, giving you the ability to run and manage Ceph storage directly from any of your cluster nodes. This enables users to setup and manage a hyper-converged infrastructure. Ceph Pacific 16.2 is now the default in Proxmox VE, while Ceph Octopus 15.2 remains available with continued support.
    • Beginning with Ceph Pacific 16.2, the balancer-module is enabled by default for new clusters. This will lead to better distribution of placement groups among the OSDs, and help to balance the data more evenly across OSDs reducing the chances that a single OSD is disproportionately full, resulting in less available space than expected in the cluster.
    • Ceph monitors with multiple public networks can be created using the CLI, should users have multiple configured links.
  • Btrfs Storage Technology: The copy-on-write (COW) file system, natively supported by the Linux kernel, implements features such as snapshots, built-in RAID, and self-healing via checksumming for data and metadata. It allows taking subvolume snapshots and supports offline storage migration while keeping snapshots. For users of enterprise storage systems, Btrfs provides file system integrity after unexpected power loss, helps prevent bitrot, and is designed for high-capacity and high-performance storage servers.
  • New Panel for easy management of APT repositories via GUI: The Proxmox developers have added a new 'Repositories' panel to the web interface which allows to inspect a node's configured APT repositories. The new panel provides a single place to see all package repository configuration, which usually is scattered across multiple files, and warns about potential misconfiguration. Users can enable and disable repositories as needed, and add the standard repositories provided by Proxmox. For instance, it’s possible to test a new Ceph release which is not yet available in the main repository. The Ceph test repository, provided by Proxmox can simply be enabled (or added), the new version tested, and then disabled again when it’s not longer needed.
  • Access Control: The new open protocol standard OpenID Connect provides Single Sign-On (SSO) resulting in a seamless user experience. Administrators can integrate an external authorization server, by either using existing public services or their own identity and access management solution. Also, a newly added permission ‘Pool.Audit’ allows users to see pools, but not to change them.
  • Enhancements to the web-based user interface (GUI):
    • Markdown in "Notes" -The “Notes” panels for Guest and Node can now interpret Markdown and render it as HTML. This gives administrators a better visualization of their notes.
    • Pruning on manually triggered backups: Users can prune the target storage with its backup-retention parameters when starting a manual backup.
    • Support for security keys (like YubiKey) as SSH keys, when creating containers or preparing cloud-init images.
  • QEMU 6.0: The latest QEMU version with new functionalities is included in Proxmox VE 7. This includes support for the Linux IO interface ‘io_uring’. The asynchronous I/O engine for virtual drives will be applied to all newly launched or migrated guest systems by default. Also a clean-up option for unreferenced VM disks is available. Disks, which are not present in the configuration, don't get automatically destroyed anymore. It is now opt-in in the API and with CLI tools (in the GUI it is present since Proxmox VE 6.4). If this clean-up option is enabled, only storage with content-types of VM or CT disk images, or rootdir will be scanned for unused disk-volumes, helping to prevent accidental data loss.
  • Container: LXC 4.0 has full support for cgroups v2, a mechanism for hierarchical organization of processes and allocation of system resources. A pure cgroup v2 layout is the default for Promox VE 7.0.
  • Proxmox VE Installer: The installer environment has been reworked and now uses switch_root instead of chroot, when transitioning from initrd to the actual installer. This improves module and firmware loading, and slightly reduces memory usage during installation. The installer now automatically detects HiDPI screens, and increases the console font and GUI scaling accordingly. This improves the UX for workstations with Proxmox VE (for example, for pass-through). The ISO detection has been improved as well to work more reliably with slower storages. The new installer uses zstd compression for the initrd image and the squashfs images.

Upgrade instructions are here.

I have by now upgraded two stand-alone hosts, one NAS VM that uses the Proxmox VE kernel (for its built-in ZFS), and one 3-node cluster.

Something that I ran into was that at the "apt dist-upgrade" stage, apt would error out saying that I was about to remove the "proxmox-ve" package (which is very much not what you want). I discovered that this happens even if only one of the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d (or /etc/apt/sources.list itself) references an old "buster" Debian release. I also had to explicitly make sure that the "no-subscription" source deb Index of /debian/pve/ bullseye pve-no-subscription was included. This may not be true in general, though.

Happy upgrading!

Reactions: nasi

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Interestingly they released 7.0 before Debian 11 "Bullseye" (which proxmox 7 is based on) has been released (though I assume it is very close to release).

firworks

May 7, 2021
I've been running it for a few weeks just playing around and I like the new graphical repository editor. Obviously it's not hard to do manually but it's nice to just not have to think about it and get it right every time. I have had two strange instances though of KVM becoming corrupted / damaged where I had to reinstall Proxmox on one of my servers. One day I'd just start getting errors trying to start a VM saying that "KVM virtualization was configured but not enabled." After some investigation and troubleshooting I found that /dev/kvm was missing. It might have just been a fluke (2 flukes?) but it seems to be running well now.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Interestingly they released 7.0 before Debian 11 "Bullseye" (which proxmox 7 is based on) has been released (though I assume it is very close to release).
The Debian project had a problem with their installer and had to postpone the release of debian 11. That's not a problem since proxmox uses it's own installer anyway.

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
I've been running it for a few weeks just playing around and I like the new graphical repository editor. Obviously it's not hard to do manually but it's nice to just not have to think about it and get it right every time. I have had two strange instances though of KVM becoming corrupted / damaged where I had to reinstall Proxmox on one of my servers. One day I'd just start getting errors trying to start a VM saying that "KVM virtualization was configured but not enabled." After some investigation and troubleshooting I found that /dev/kvm was missing. It might have just been a fluke (2 flukes?) but it seems to be running well now.
Did you do an in-place upgrade from 6 to 7 or fresh installs? I'm curious because I've been holding off on upgrading my two hosts.

firworks

May 7, 2021
Did you do an in-place upgrade from 6 to 7 or fresh installs? I'm curious because I've been holding off on upgrading my two hosts.
I tried to do 2 in-place upgrades from 6 and both were a complete failure so I reinstalled fresh. I had the same issue @niekbergboer had with it erroring saying I was trying to remove proxmox-ve "which is not something I want to do". The KVM issues occurred on one of those fresh installs.

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
I tried to do 2 in-place upgrades from 6 and both were a complete failure so I reinstalled fresh. I had the same issue @niekbergboer had with it erroring saying I was trying to remove proxmox-ve "which is not something I want to do". The KVM issues occurred on one of those fresh installs.
Did you only have to backup /etc/pve when doing fresh installs?