Proxmox VE 5.0 Beta Released – Major Changes!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This is a small - but really important - change in behavior from the Proxmox team. Previously they would not consider releasing even a Beta using pre-release third party packages. This created a severe lag for them with some packages stuck several releases "old" simply because their fully stable release had not been released before the Proxmox freeze date.

I applaud their new approach. Should help make a strong platform even better.

Reactions: MiniKnight

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm agreeing with @PigLover

I'm still surprised Proxmox is so under the radar from a general tech scene. STH is big on it but not many else. For the SMB sector this is really a category killer platform.

Ceph or Gluster for scale out hyper-converged. ZFS for few nodes. Integrated clustering and backup. There's a lot to like.

Reactions: PigLover

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yup. If they added some really simple storage volume creation, dataset management and simple tools to manage NFS and SMB to the GUI they'd have a more robust and complete storage platform than FreeNAS - a true AIO.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yup. If they added some really simple storage volume creation, dataset management and simple tools to manage NFS and SMB to the GUI they'd have a more robust and complete storage platform than FreeNAS - a true AIO.
Yep, this is where I'm at with ProxMox. More management for stg in the GUI, and a couple other things I ran into needing to do it 'by hand' would be nice in the GUI.

I'd be fine with managing shares through a VM, container or existing cloud os/template container that we could configure to work with our Proxmox Stg.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I think they're in a better position just because the Debian ecosystem is huge versus the FreeBSD. I know we love FreeBSD here but when I need to do something that isn't an appliance, it's Linux.

Reactions: gigatexal

RedneckBob

Dec 5, 2016
I already started using Proxmox as my storage server. Once I moved my Proxmox servers to ZFS I now send snapshots over the wire to a machine running Proxmox that sits on a bunch of drives. The license is cheap enough and I can keep all my machine's patch levels in sync.

Once I started having issues with zfs send/receive on FreeNAS+ZFS I checked out.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I would be willing to try it if there was a good comparison what Proxmox can do (better than vmWare). I have no pain point that is driving me to look for alternatives and I have not found a compelling reason yet. Nor a good comparison at all. Even the one on the Proxmox side basically just says 'But it's linux' and thats their main selling point - at least thats my understanding.
Happy to be corrected and or enlightend :)

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I would be willing to try it if there was a good comparison what Proxmox can do (better than vmWare). I have no pain point that is driving me to look for alternatives and I have not found a compelling reason yet. Nor a good comparison at all. Even the one on the Proxmox side basically just says 'But it's linux' and thats their main selling point - at least thats my understanding.
Happy to be corrected and or enlightend :)
For an all-in-one, VmWare doesn't do containers. So you have to pass an HBA into a VM for storage, then export that storage using network protocols to the other VMs. That adds network stack overhead and VM overhead.

Proxmox manages the storage itself, so there's no overhead there. It also means that you can use onboard SATA ports as you don't need to pass controllers around via PCI-passthrough. Then if you use containers, you can bind mount storage locations to them. No network stack required, just a simple kernel call, so performance is not as impacted.

I have read reports from people that got some decent performance gains that way. Now, if you don't use containers, say you need non-linux, you are in a similar situation to ESXI. But one layer of VM is removed. I don't know that it's a big difference in that case. VMs are pretty efficient these days.

IMO, it's not so much better as it is a different set of tradeoffs. It's also open source, which matters more/less depending who you ask. I don't think I would advise people with a working ESXI to switch everything over. But I do think it's worth a look on a test box or VM to experiment with.

Reactions: T_Minus and Rand__

DigitalDaz

Sep 18, 2014
I think the difference between proxmox and vmware cost wise is huge. OK, when we are talking of a single node maybe the choice between vmware and promox would tale some thinking about.

I have just deployed a small three node proxmox cluster with ceph storage and I back up all data every night. Total cost after hardware $0.

Now work out how much that would cost with vmware.

One other thing that proxmox trumps vmware on here is the ability to do 10Gb three node without a 10Gb switch, this reduces both cost and improves reliability.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have just deployed a small three node proxmox cluster with ceph storage and I back up all data every night. Total cost after hardware $0.

Now work out how much that would cost with vmware.

One other thing that proxmox trumps vmware on here is the ability to do 10Gb three node without a 10Gb switch, this reduces both cost and improves reliability.
$180 ;) VMUG with yearly discount.
And you can do vsan cluster with 2 direct connect nodes + witness nowadays, so not really an advantage.

But o/c for commercial use this is a totally different matter (costs)

Reactions: realtomatoes

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Proxmox isn't free (well, it could be) for business use... but it's more of a time suck/hassle which depending who's doing the work cost more than the minimal Proxmox license.

I know I'll be paying for proxmox lowest-tier just to have point-click updates/etc... seems silly not to.

For my usages (and I think many many others) VMWare is just too big and bloated, now if you're a huge corp with a ton of variety, sure...

Maybe I'm misisng something still, afterall I'm not a virtualization guru but so far liking proxmox :) esp with not needing to have a HBA for 'aio' with zfs :)

Still waiting/wishing for stg management vm/container for proxmox that's plug-n-play not take notes, rembmer, etc, type stuff :)