Proxmox VE 5.0 and Docker with a Web GUI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FastLaneJB

Jul 3, 2015
I know this is an old thread but I've had this setup for a while but had a reason to want to try and use the Firewall capability inside Proxmox. Upon enabling this across the various parts of Proxmox (There's a lot of places you need to do this) and adding it to an LXC container it killed the networking for the entire Proxmox. Ended up switched it off and rebooting the box to restore it.

I've got another Proxmox box without docker on which I think is about the only difference here and the Proxmox firewall seems to work fine. So just wondered if anyone else has come across Docker and the Proxmox Firewall not playing nice together?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@FastLaneJB That is so much networking complexity. Docker has a networking component. Proxmox with KVM has a networking component. Proxmox firewall is a networking component. LXC container access.

You'd be better off using a better firewall solution and taking a piece out of the equation.

TheHamster

Dec 15, 2018
Place and configure the firewall in a container, and then redirect ingress/egress traffic through the container.

clintar

Aug 7, 2019
I know this is an old thread but I've had this setup for a while but had a reason to want to try and use the Firewall capability inside Proxmox. Upon enabling this across the various parts of Proxmox (There's a lot of places you need to do this) and adding it to an LXC container it killed the networking for the entire Proxmox. Ended up switched it off and rebooting the box to restore it.

I've got another Proxmox box without docker on which I think is about the only difference here and the Proxmox firewall seems to work fine. So just wondered if anyone else has come across Docker and the Proxmox Firewall not playing nice together?
Necro bump. Came to see if anyone else had the same, too. If I enable docker, I lose access to all my instances. Also have a problem that when docker runs, the zfs isn't mounted yet, so it recreates the directory structure every time. Not smart enough to figure out how to fix it. Tried to create some systemd service that would make sure zfs was loaded first before starting the docker service, but this firewall issue is too much for me. Guess I will just run docker in a VM.