Proxmox VE 5.0 and Docker with a Web GUI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for the thoughts. I run VMware in my lab using the evalexperience. I can see the time when VMware are potentially cut out of the market (but of course through Proton, AWS hookups etc they are trying to stay relevant). Whilst I understand the attractions of opensource, I'm not a coder at heart - I just want the thing to work and be reliable (otherwise I get it in the neck from the wife always up in my computer room!) I've a few spare servers to test drive, I look forward to the write-up.
I have Proxmox servers running ZFS mirrors as storage that have 300+ days of uptime right now. The only reason they go down is when I want to upgrade them.

STH hosting is now on Proxmox as well.

No coding required. All GUI based. Stay tuned.

Reactions: vv111y and _alex

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Thanks for the thoughts. I run VMware in my lab using the evalexperience.
- so, you have some experience / smth. running on it

I'm not a coder at heart - I just want the thing to work and be reliable (otherwise I get it in the neck from the wife always up in my computer room!)
- and obviously don't need much more than a reliable Host

This are some very good reasons for you to stay with VMware, no learning, no new setup, no licensing required besides VMUG.

Edit:
Like Patrick said, it's really not necessary to do coding / extensive configurations of the Host-OS on the CLI to get a reliable proxmox setup up and running. What i meant was that this can be done if desired.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Another upside with proxmox is that it's Debian under the hood. So theoretically you can install anything on it. Eg snapraid, mergerfs, etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Good news/ bad news. Bad news of my 2 projects yesterday, one failed miserably (needed to go to the data center to flip a switch) and the other did not happen. Today getting some VERY cool hardware (more on this later.)

Looks like rain is forecasted in the next day or two here so hopefully that means time to do the Docker + Proxmox tutorial. I am going to re-install from scratch.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
-
Edit:
Like Patrick said, it's really not necessary to do coding / extensive configurations of the Host-OS on the CLI to get a reliable proxmox setup up and running. What i meant was that this can be done if desired.
Thanks, this is more about learning and preparing for the future I guess. I dont mind a bit of CLI but unless I use something a lot I simply forget. :)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Bump...with the death of Corral this project actually gets much more interesting. Would love to see your setup guide for Proxmox+Docker.

Reactions: Patrick

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
I actually just made a Debian 8.0 LXC and tried to install Docker into it.

I basically used the default settings. Ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and then installed docker. The install went fine, but I get

docker: failed to register layer: ApplyLayer exit status 1 stdout: stderr: permission denied.

When I try to docker run anything.... I'm assuming there is a permission issue due to the LXC. Thoughts?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I suspect it's not going to be happy in a container. You will probably need to install in a VM or on the host.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@PigLover - re-doing the setup tomorrow and plan on taking detailed notes.

The first beta Proxmox VE 5 was having issues with some of my VMs starting. That seems to be fixed with the new update so I think it is an okay time to publish the project.

Between the VM start issues and the FreeNAS Corral bit, needed to wait for things to settle down.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
I gave up with the container.... for anyone curious I decided to use RancherOS in a VM for my setup. Here are the steps I used...

1) Download RancherOS ISO
2) Setup a VM with RancherOS ISO as CD.
3) Boot
4) From Console
- sudo /bin/bash
- password rancher
5) SSH to rancher@<host>
- vi cloud-config.yml

Code:
hostname: <hostname>

rancher:
  network:
    interfaces:
      eth*:
       dhcp: false
      eth0:
       dhcp: true
      eth1:
       address: 10.0.254.140/24
       gateway: 10.0.254.1
    dns:
     nameservers:

ssh_authorized_keys:
  - ssh-rsa <your SSH id_pub.rsa)
Of note... eth0 is bridged to vmbr0 on Proxmox which is my main 1G network. Eth1 is bridged to vmbr1 on Proxmox which is my 10G network between my proxmox servers and my QNAP. Eventually I'm planning to merge that half of the network and only use the SFP+ cards once I have a switch... (on my list).

- Run
sudo ros install -c cloud-config.yml -d /dev/sda

- Remove CD Image from VM, and then reboot.

6) SSH back into RancherOS (rancher@<IP>)

7) Install Whatever.... I'm using Rancher and Portainer... so I ran
sudo docker run -d --name rancher --privileged -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock --restart=unless-stopped -p 8080:8080 rancher/server

sudo docker run -d --name portainer --privileged -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock --restart=unless-stopped -p 9000:9000 portainer/portainer

Seems like it's working well... Next step is maybe TLS/SWARM....

Swarm vs Kubernetes ...

Then I'll have a proxmox cluster with RancherOS inside of a VM running a Docker Cluster....

-Eric

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadal and Marsh

mad1993max

Jan 27, 2016
I am trying to figure out how to replace the default docker bridge with an existing ovs-switch from proxmox sofare not luck, because i need vlan and I couldnt get vlan to work with docker-ovs
hase someone an idea on how to implement
Code:
ovs-docker add-port vmbr1 container1 --ipaddress=192.168.0.88/24
with vlan ?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I am trying to figure out how to replace the default docker bridge with an existing ovs-switch from proxmox sofare not luck, because i need vlan and I couldnt get vlan to work with docker-ovs
hase someone an idea on how to implement
Code:
ovs-docker add-port vmbr1 container1 --ipaddress=192.168.0.88/24
with vlan ?
That'd be better to just make its own thread with this. There's an old thread Proxmox VE Open vSwitch (OVS) Discussion

but just make your own. That's an old one.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
Has anyone given rkt a shot on Proxmox?
I have seen it but I haven't tried it. I love the concept of rkt and CoreOS but it seems smaller. After the clusterhq fiasco I'm trying to stick to larger distributions. IMO should look at kubernetes over swarm

yeah

Jul 29, 2017
Great. I've managed to install docker on a builder LXC CT from Proxmox and install there Portainer. Then, I installed Docker Swarm directly on Proxmox nodes and communicate from Portainer to to them -using TLS- through manager swarm node TCP port. Finally, my Gluster as a multi-access bind-volume for services. Lots of fun!

Now, looking at Docker Services for replicated/scaled containers. Then, use my CEPH as a Docker Volumes provisioner (still don't know how... OCFS? LVM? ZFS?).

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Great. I've managed to install docker on a builder LXC CT from Proxmox and install there Portainer. Then, I installed Docker Swarm directly on Proxmox nodes and communicate from Portainer to to them -using TLS- through manager swarm node TCP port. Finally, my Gluster as a multi-access bind-volume for services. Lots of fun!

Now, looking at Docker Services for replicated/scaled containers. Then, use my CEPH as a Docker Volumes provisioner (still don't know how... OCFS? LVM? ZFS?).
Sounds like a great front page article @Patrick