Proxmox VE 5.0 and Docker with a Web GUI

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by Patrick, Mar 22, 2017.

1. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

You PM Patrick about formalizing a write up and getting it on the front page.

2. FastLaneJB

FastLaneJB New Member

I know this is an old thread but I've had this setup for a while but had a reason to want to try and use the Firewall capability inside Proxmox. Upon enabling this across the various parts of Proxmox (There's a lot of places you need to do this) and adding it to an LXC container it killed the networking for the entire Proxmox. Ended up switched it off and rebooting the box to restore it.

I've got another Proxmox box without docker on which I think is about the only difference here and the Proxmox firewall seems to work fine. So just wondered if anyone else has come across Docker and the Proxmox Firewall not playing nice together?

3. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

@FastLaneJB That is so much networking complexity. Docker has a networking component. Proxmox with KVM has a networking component. Proxmox firewall is a networking component. LXC container access.

You'd be better off using a better firewall solution and taking a piece out of the equation.

4. TheHamster

TheHamster New Member

Place and configure the firewall in a container, and then redirect ingress/egress traffic through the container.

5. clintar

clintar New Member

Necro bump. Came to see if anyone else had the same, too. If I enable docker, I lose access to all my instances. Also have a problem that when docker runs, the zfs isn't mounted yet, so it recreates the directory structure every time. Not smart enough to figure out how to fix it. Tried to create some systemd service that would make sure zfs was loaded first before starting the docker service, but this firewall issue is too much for me. Guess I will just run docker in a VM.