Proxmox VE 4.0 Issues with ZFS RAID 1 boot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
In ended up installing Proxmox VE 4.0 on one of the servers in the Fremont colocation. Oddly enough, the beta ISO I had worked perfectly. I then installed the release ISO using the ZFS RAID 1 mirror on sda and sdc (Intel 320 SSDs) and got: upload_2015-11-3_21-31-11.png

I then reverted to the beta installation (re-install) and everything booted fine. I upgraded to the release and everything looked great. I then rebooted the machine and saw the same error as above again.

I did try zpool import -R /root -N rpool as mentioend in the above and that did not work.

This was not installed via UEFI.

Any ideas how to fix this one?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
is that proxmox iso build 4.0-0d8559d0-17 (06 October 2015)?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I see.
suspecting on ZoL mismatch version on proxmox 4.0 (not beta).

honestly:D
when I posted in ZoL list, they suggested me to NOT use ZoL on boot drive since they said unpredictable when troubleshooting (could be work or semi work or nothing)

I tried ZoL on non bootdrive and works fine..

I will find to install proxmox 4 as a vm in my proxmox and set Zol in boot drive, if I have time to steal after work :p.
having two toddler with only 14 months apart is tough!! ...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like it is working. I pulled the drives and installed onto different boot devices.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I have many success on ZOL on Root FS (ubuntu 14.04.3, mint 17.2) Normally its grub2 version mis-match/incompatible issue

Xshot-0042.png

I have exactly the same error msg when I try to use the release version of PVE 4.0 on my existing zpool on Root FS (boot grub2 was install by ubuntu 14.04.3). It was pretty frustrating as the release version somehow is not compatible with any different version of grub2. I finally give up and re-initiate the zpool and do a fresh install to solve the matter

by the way... I can manually import the zpool... but... none of the service will start..

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have many success on ZOL on Root FS (ubuntu 14.04.3, mint 17.2) Normally its grub2 version mis-match/incompatible issue

View attachment 1073

I have exactly the same error msg when I try to use the release version of PVE 4.0 on my existing zpool on Root FS (boot grub2 was install by ubuntu 14.04.3). It was pretty frustrating as the release version somehow is not compatible with any different version of grub2. I finally give up and re-initiate the zpool and do a fresh install to solve the matter

by the way... I can manually import the zpool... but... none of the service will start..
that was an issue ZoL with grub :D......

I skipped the headache actually: install HW raid 1 (M5014) :D hahaha.

the other is using a single intel ssd, I trust intel ssd for a workload...

fresh install is an easy way.

I did has issues when upgrade 3.4 to 4.o due on mismatch package version level.
I had to delete manually and reinstall. aptitude helped me to identify conflicted packages..

Reactions: EluRex