Proxmox VE 4.0 Initial Installation Checklist

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Since we did the instructions for Proxmox VE 3.4 initial installation, here is the change for Proxmox VE 4.0:

Initial Proxmox installer GUI tips:
  • If you can, mirrored boot is a good idea. I have been using ZFS RAID 1 since Proxmox VE 3.4 and it works well. I would suggest not using UEFI boot and instead using legacy BIOS. If you are installing via IPMI, ensure the virtual media device does not say UEFI at the start.
  • On the network settings screen on the installer pick something other than pve.x.x as your host name. If you leave defaults, it will get confusing later. Also set a static IP and remember your password.
  • Ensure you will have a way to resolve hostnames in your setup. Proxmox likes this

Upon first boot:
1. Login via SSH/ console and get the right packages/ repos setup. Use the IP address set in the GUI installer. By default Proxmox will try to use the enterprise repos. To fix this first add the no subscription sources:

Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-no-subscription

upload_2015-11-4_12-42-20.png

Then remove the enterprise source:
Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
comment out (add a # symbol in front) of this line:
# deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-enterprise
upload_2015-11-4_12-43-16.png

2. Update and upgrade
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
3. Reboot - I ran into an issue with ZFS RAID 1 after updating, ensure you can still boot the server!

I like to ensure that I have IPMI up for any server I am doing this with just to troubleshoot reboot issues.

4. Login to the web interface.
upload_2015-11-4_12-48-24.png

I hope that helps someone. Good chance it will be me in a week or two when I try this again :)

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
And that is other than doing:
apt-get install openvswitch-switch -y

Reactions: tjk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Lastly, don't create any vm until you have setup the cluster or otherwise its impossible to create a cluster with nodes that has a same vmid. Also, once the cluster is created, you cannot change the hostname nor its IP (now I understand the beauty of openstack) SD Networking on pve 4.0 is very tedious
Yea I just have the first four nodes installed and updated at this point. I know cluster create is not something that is done lightly!

I am also planning to do Ceph in this iteration which should be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: EluRex

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Right now I am trying to create a linux bond and attache it to a OVS bridge on another node, so far with no success, I guess I need to use OVS Bond instead.

For IB ports, I am trying to get sr-iov working so that I don't have to use a linux bridge for the IB to eth
on my understandong you can NOT mixed OVS and linux bond, since OVS is virtual switch.

to make sr-iov, you need to pass "iommu" param in kernel ( as my understanding)

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe a dumb question, but how did you swap the normal bridge for the OVS bridge? I am a bit worried that I will lose connection by doing so and already have the default gateway on the standard bridge.
For eth0 steps are
  1. Remove the All IP Info from the eth0
  2. Delete the vmbr0 (Linux bridge)
  3. Create vmbr0 as ovs-bridge with IP/MASK/Gateway & slave ports [eth0]
  4. Add First OvsIntPort same ip as ovs-bridge but without Gateway (typically it is the default vlan 1)
  5. For VLAN only, may skip this step. Add Second OvsIntPort with different subnet mask and ip and VLAN Tag 100 or whatever
  6. Reboot and only at this point your network settings will take effect. This is because all the config is done at /etc/network/interfaces
  7. If network setting failed and you lost your connections to ssh or 8006, then, you will need to use ipmi and then edit /etc/network/interface just config auto lo and auto eth0 only and reconfigure it from step 1 again.
For bond0 steps are
  1. Remove the All IP Info from the eth0 eth1
  2. Delete the vmbr0 (Linux bridge)
  3. Create bond0 with no ip information and slave ports eth0 eth1 and bond_mode=balance-slb lacp=active (for my case)
  4. Create vmbr0 as ovs-bridge with IP/MASK/Gateway & slave ports [bond0]
  5. Add First OvsIntPort same ip as ovs-bridge but without Gateway (typically it is the default vlan 1)
  6. For VLAN only, may skip this step. Add Second OvsIntPort with different subnet mask and ip and VLAN Tag 100 or whatever
  7. Reboot and only at this point your network settings will take effect. This is because all the config is done at /etc/network/interfaces
  8. If network setting failed and you lost your connections to ssh or 8006, then, you will need to use ipmi and then edit /etc/network/interface just config auto lo and auto eth0 only and reconfigure it from step 1 again.

Reactions: tigweld0101

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was getting the following error while updating:
Code:
W: GPG error: http://ftp.us.debian.org jessie Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 8B48AD6246925553 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key
It was fixed by
Code:
 nano /etc/apt/sources.list
And changing from the ftp.us.debian.org server to ftp.uk.debian.org

MikeP

Feb 20, 2016
Can we get a ProxMox dedicated forum?

And, anyone got a setup guide to setup - 2 node cluster with each node having two small SSD and two large HDD. ZFS, or DRBD or Gluster or whatever is best. Not HA, just a small home/ SOHO cluster.
I had a Proxmox 3.x single node, no ZFS, and it was great. Now I'm having issues... Seems to be a ZFS limitation: Can't create LXC container on ZFS local

I've got quite a bit of setup in my own notes, but I'm having issues with creating CT or anything anywhere on my new cluster.

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Can we get a ProxMox dedicated forum?

And, anyone got a setup guide to setup - 2 node cluster with each node having two small SSD and two large HDD. ZFS, or DRBD or Gluster or whatever is best. Not HA, just a small home/ SOHO cluster.
I had a Proxmox 3.x single node, no ZFS, and it was great. Now I'm having issues... Seems to be a ZFS limitation: Can't create LXC container on ZFS local

I've got quite a bit of setup in my own notes, but I'm having issues with creating CT or anything anywhere on my new cluster.
Mike, for now we have moved discussion from here to Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization:
upload_2016-2-23_12-5-23.png

If the Proxmox side gets bigger we may do a dedicated forum.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Upon first boot:
1. Login via SSH/ console and get the right packages setup. Use the IP address set in the GUI installer. By default Proxmox will try to use the enterprise repos and you will get a no-subscription message when you log into the WebGUI. To fix this first add the no subscription sources:

Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-no-subscription

View attachment 1070

Then remove the enterprise source:
Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
comment out (add a # symbol in front) of this line:
# deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-enterprise
View attachment 1071
Has this changed at all? I've done the above but still get the no subscription message upon login after every reboot.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
This is not dependent on each other.
You work with the repository and you can update the servers, but you don't have a subscription - so everything is OK.

If you don't want this popup you have to change the sourcecode of the webinterface (this is reverted on every update - so just click "OK").

Regards
Markus

Reactions: MikeP

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
This is not dependent on each other.
You work with the repository and you can update the servers, but you don't have a subscription - so everything is OK.

If you don't want this popup you have to change the sourcecode of the webinterface (this is reverted on every update - so just click "OK").

Regards
Markus
Doesn't @Patrick's step #1 address exactly this issue though? Or did I misinterpret what the result would be?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
No - his step 1 does not address the issue of the popup. The OP is wrong in this case - that change is required for updates to work at all without a subscription, but still won't remove the popup saying you don't have a subscription.