Proxmox learning build out of mostly used stuff .

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Perhaps you need a $90 SSD now. The use old hard drive array was probably not good for reliability

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Booted up with my graphics card, shows all 12 drives in the bios so restarted.

Getting a "checksum verification failed" error.

shows "grub rescue>"

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Perhaps you need a $90 SSD now. The use old hard drive array was probably not good for reliability
Well I knew it was not going to last forever, just hoped it would at least last more than a couple of weeks. LOL

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Rebooted with the Proxmox install disk and selected "rescue boot" option.

Errored out with "unknown filesystem"

So, dug out my Gparted bootable disk and will see what that shows.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Turns out the "clunk" when I press the power switch was not a hard drive.

After I took the cover off the case it stopped making that noise, seems the noise is case related.

Well I think the /boot zfs partition was corrupt.

I'm now running test on the hard drives with the GParted os disk, all smart test on all 12 drives shows passed.

Running more tests.

EDIT: Just for information all the drives have between 38,800 and 40,500 hours on them.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
All the drives passed the tests that I ran.

Added the extra 32 gb of ram I have that was unused and left the gtx video card in.

Reinstalling Proxmox in raidz0 again.

I am pretty sure the /boot was corrupted.

If it craps out again, i'll pull the 12 hard drives and go with the three 2tb HGST hard drives in a more conservative setup.

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
And its back up!!

No to reinstall some vm's.
40k hours? pffft, that's nothing, thet won't have any issues running a few more years :p

just, kidding, hope you figure out what that system corruption was all about.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Still running GREAT!!, knock on wood!!.

I am starting to run more stuff in the vm's that I used have running on my main pc.

I have my main pc running Ubuntu 16.04.4 and have 8 workplaces enabled, I was running so much stuff it was slowing my main pc down, LOT's of firefox tabs, a few programs running ect.

Now that I moved them over to vm's it really is nice.

Not everything runs in Ubuntu 16.04 but I can run anything in a vm, linux or windows or any other os I need to run.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
After a little bit of testing it looks like Xubuntu will be my preferred Ubuntu for VM use.

Running two VM's , one Ubuntu 16.04.4 and one Xubuntu 16.04.4 set up identically.

Running the same four programs Xubuntu uses 698 mb of ram per Htop and Ubuntu shows to use 2.16 Gb of ram.

And Xubuntu seems a bit "snappier".

After a reboot and with only htop running and just sitting at the desktop Xubuntu shows 299 mb of ram use. Ubuntu shows 653 mb of ram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee for someone who's accustomed to using ESXi free hosts, how hard would you say it is to Proxmox?
Super easy to install and use.

All the functionality of the pay version is in the free version except you get a nag popup and you cant use the pay versions specific apt update repository but for my usage thats a non issue.

Reactions: tonyalverez

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Uh oh............my first smart error popped up, but does not show any data errors on a scrub.

I run scrub a couple of times a week.

Installed a couple of cryptocoin nodes on a couple of VM's for the workout.

Been up 16 days and 4 hours.

A NEW RECORD!!!

Beat the old one by 4 days so far.:D

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
So I checking on the VM that is downloading the Bitcoin Cash block chain and I realized I was running out of space so I shut down and resized the disk to 200 gb.

Then I realized I resized the disk in the WRONG VM.....the Xubuntu 16.04.4 vm that was running four nodes WHILE it was running.

I did not know I could do that, so I installed gparted in that vm.

So now it displayed a ~120 gb root partition then a ~4 gb swap and to the right of that an unpartitioned 80 gigs.

So I turned the swap off, next I created a new 4098 mb swap partition at the far right, next I deleted the original swap partition then resized the root partition the additional 80 gigs that was unused, then turned the swap on with the new swap partition.

Then I clicked apply in gparted.

And............. It seemed to work. LOL

Now to reboot the vm.

Slow to boot......seems to have a 90 second delay now and displays this:

"a start job started by dev-disk-by"

So I had the edit the fstab file and change the uuid of the swap to the new swap partition uuid.

It works!!

I would have never guessed I would be able to do that on the fly with programs running in the vm.

Talk about living dangerously. :D

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Inquiring minds want to know... when are ya going to make a real one?
No $$$$$$$$$$$ for a bunch of SSD's:(

Next version will have 3, 4 or maybe 5 Hitachi 2 Tb drives in Raidz0, whenever the current setup dies spectacularly.

Beside I'm having too much fun, if I build a "real" one then i'm going to be all worried about the data.

This way I can be wild and carefree because there will not be any important data on it.

I feel the best way to learn is by screwing up then fixing it.:D

Reactions: Tha_14

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I'm starting to get write error warnings and smart warnings on one hard drive, but so far no data loss.

So i'll pull that one drive and reinstall proxmox with 11 drives on raidz0.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016

Is this the point that if I had critical data I would be panicking? LOL

Running scrub shows no errors found.

So is this informative errors or bad errors?