Proxmox DIR Structure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Working on getting things more standardized in Proxmox and making things easier/repeatable/faster going forward...

I already have a somewhat extensive ISO organization DIR on my storage system, and simply added the NFS Share to Proxmox but none of the ISO I have show up, turns out proxmox is pretty strict on their DIR structure for templates/isos/etc...

Is there a quick way to make the 'brow sable' available files (ISO, etc) start at the / path I define to export when creating the NFS share in Proxmox? (Kind of like how in ESXI when we browse a datastore for ISO). Kind of irritating with the technology we have this day in age that proxmox is requiring a strict directory structure and simply won't search/find based on your defined parameters, or heck, even browse like esxi is "A OK" to me!

I found some round-about ways from years ago:
How to mount an existing NFS iso share on Promox VE witth out using the Promox folder structure – Orion Web Blog

Just hoping there's a better/faster way now :)

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Proxmox seems to insist on putting ISOs in [base]/templates/iso . However, you can just create the templates dir and symlink iso to ../.. .

Proxmox still insist on a flat list, even in that case, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeggs101

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Proxmox seems to insist on putting ISOs in [base]/templates/iso . However, you can just create the templates dir and symlink iso to ../.. .

Proxmox still insist on a flat list, even in that case, though.
Thanks, that's what I thought too, and the solution too I saw.

Oh-well, I guess since I'm working on expanding the # of proxmox hosts I may as well setup storage to their liking now too. My own fault for finding some of these 'gotchas' now vs. during testing/playing around... so much just 'works' and 'makes sense' when you test/experiment if it will work I rushed through, and needed to test specific configurations more thoroughly ;)

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
To get around this, my ISO folder is on ZFS like /pool/iso/templates/iso, and then the full path is shared out as just "ISO" on my network. And this is fine if Proxmox is using the iso directory from local storage, but not so great for network share, since it'll want an additional /templates/iso dir. Then it's even more complicated when you want to share with both Proxmox and ESXi :(