Proxmox boot stuck on: "mpt3sas_cm0: overriding NVDATA EEDPTagMode setting"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZHS

Apr 7, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am currently running Proxmox VE 7.4.

I virtualized Ubuntu Server LTS 22.04 and TrueNAS Scale as VMs and started my first ZFS pool with 4 HDDs. Everything was working fine until recently, when I decided to increase number of HDDs inside my case.

After adding 4 more disks to my pool via HBA which is LSI SAS 9300-8i, the boot load starts and gets stuck with this message:

mpt3sas_cm0: overriding NVDATA EEDPTagMode setting

The aforementioned LSI SAS 9300-8i is flashed to IT mode and both VMs are set to manually start after the boot.

I have tried removing all HDDs from HBA, but the error persists. Only when I remove the HBA from the PCI-E slot physically, Proxmox VE boots normally.

I have seen maybe 2 or 3 threads online with this problem, but from what I understood is that message was only shown as a mere warning during boot for those users.

Something maybe worth noting is that the problematic message can be bypassed if I remove the following lines from /etc/modules:

vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

However, then the WebUI of Proxmox VE becomes unreachable...

I am pretty new to homelabing/Proxmox so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: