Proxmox Backup Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Is anybody running Proxmox Backup Server? I am considering installing it on a test box. Is it worth installing and taking a look at? I have 3 Proxmox servers now and am happy with the how they backup and restore.

Vladi246

Jul 26, 2019
I started one even when was beta while ago, now converted it to stable and started using as daily driver.
Don't have any issue at all

axavio

Sep 25, 2020
Proxmox Backup Server seems so elegant. I have been running it for a while now with no issues. It saves an enormous amount of space with dedup compared to my previous plain old vzdump solution. And I really like the ease with which you can verify the backups on a periodic basis to have peace of mind that the backups will actually restore if needed. It would be nice if STH could do a review on PBS.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm curious about this as well. Currently using 2 ESXi 6.7 hosts in a cluster with an HA ZFS pool on 2 CentOS8 hosts using NFS mount. Also have a veeam license (already paid for - sunk cost.) One thing that got me to dump proxmox several years ago, was the backup system was rudimentary. I can't count how many times I needed to recover a specific file or directory from a guest. Veeam spins up a linux appliance, and provides an explorer window on your windows desktop to surf the backup instance and recover whatever you need. It *looks* like that works with PBS, is that correct?

axavio

Sep 25, 2020
I haven't ever tried to restore a single file, but it certainly looks possible in the documentation. But it is via the command line instead of an explorer-type window. You would open a shell and navigate around or mount the backup as a FUSE device and access it as a read-only disk. That might make it scritptable, although not as intuitive/easy as a quick point-and-click to recover a file.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Ah, thanks. Yrah, it would be nice to have a GUI, but the interactive shell seems adequate. I'm going to try to spin up a VE+PB under vmware and check it out. Thanks!

axavio

Sep 25, 2020
My bad. I didn't notice it at first, but if you select the "File Restore" button instead of the "Restore" button from the list of available backups on the PBS GUI, it gives a navigable file tree that you can download to your local machine (the one you are browsing with).
Screenshot 2021-05-05 165039.png

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I have been eyeing this for a while now, I would be very interested in seeing what it can do, and why they consider it worth 449 EUR/year.

Honestly I don't know too much about backup solutions, having relied on various sorts of scripts to get by.
So it would be interesting to see what a product like this can do, and honestly what is considered state of the art in this area.

axavio

Sep 25, 2020
I don't see cloud integration on the feature list or roadmap. It does have a remote sync feature where you can duplicate or pull backups to/from other PBS servers, but no mention of AWS/Google/Azure type of integration.

Albert Yang

Oct 26, 2017
havent tried the PBS yet seems interesting but is it possible to run it every hour? without the vm freezing up? currently running my backups using pve-zync every hour works flawless but the PBS feature of restoring files really got me interested