Proxmox and "elastic" load balancing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I'm starting to look at Proxmox and have done a moderate amount of web searching on whether it supports elastic load balancing (or can be modified to support that). My initial impression is that Proxmox doesn't support this.

I don't need Netflix-level resource scaling (interesting read: The Netflix Tech Blog: Scryer: Netflix’s Predictive Auto Scaling Engine) but I would like to think that I might get enough web traffic to scale up or down a couple instances at various times during the day and would like some way to do that automagically.

I have a few ideas how I could bake my own solution but would rather not reinvent the wheel if that can be avoided.

Any advice would be appreciated --
Dave

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think that is not the right way to look at Proxmox. Proxomox works well for managing VMs, containers and the back end storage. If you were looking at scaling like that, I would insert HAproxy or nginx in front then have a scaling system behind (not Proxmox).

Using containers might make your life easier for this type of project.

Reactions: NSKA

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
How flexible is your environment dave? Have a look at apache stratos. PaaS with a autoscaler.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I think that is not the right way to look at Proxmox. Proxomox works well for managing VMs, containers and the back end storage. If you were looking at scaling like that, I would insert HAproxy or nginx in front then have a scaling system behind (not Proxmox).

Using containers might make your life easier for this type of project.
What I was contemplating was a Proxmox system that managed a series of containers, including one or more containers running a load balancer (HAproxy or Nginx) and one or more containers running an autoscaler (TBD). Proxmox appears to support creation of VMs/containers through its API (see Automated VM creation using API) so a system with an autoscaler running within Proxmox seems possible.

There might be reasons why someone would not want to do that but I've seen other people asking for such a system (possibly unenlightened folk like me re Proxmox).

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
How flexible is your environment dave? Have a look at apache stratos. PaaS with a autoscaler.
Thanks for this suggestion, @xnoodle. I looked at Stratos and my first impression was that it was geared toward implementing on a system already running on some IaaS platform and using CoreOS. I'm thinking more of a home-grown network and am hoping it can be somewhat lean because some systems will have low RAM (for better or worse) while others will have 128GB RAM.