Proxmox 5.0 & ZFS Basic Share

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Followed the guide here... to install NFS and SAMBA on ProxMox5.0 Beta / Debian stretch.

Setting up a File Server and Hypervisor using Proxmox and ZFS

Things to note about the guide:
  • Minor command line syntax variance but nothing major
  • I think they are using leading slashes when you shouldn't / don't need any -- at-least mine error-ed out until I changed that to no leading or trailing slash for the pool ie: mypool/media vs /mypool/media
  • samba has been changed/aliased/whatevered to 'smbd' so when doing service samba restart change the word 'samba' to smbd

In under 5 minutes you can get your new ZFS pool created, download the extras needed, create the shares in ZFS and be on your way. I didn't have to manually mount anything, and I haven't tested NFS yet but SAMBA is working minus 1 issue outlined below.

The 1 issue I'm having is that even though I didn't configure restrictions/permissions in order to acess my share it's prompting for user/password. I've inputted my Proxmox/Linux main root user/pass and it didn't work, I created a new user/pass and tried that it didn't work. What is SAMBA share using for ACL?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yep, it's dated but mostly works with minor tweaks ;) should have noted I was cherry-picking commands out of there for SAMBA specifically.

Thanks @Patrick I have no problem installing on ZFS rpool, or creating my storage/etc pools and adding the samba via command-line worked fine and I can connect to it via Windows after doing the ZFS SMB share command...

My problem now is with the user/authentication :) not actually being allowed to ACCESS the share/files :)

I'll check out that link and see.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yep, something simple ;) forgot to assign the user perm to the share :)

Working now, maxes out my 1Gig network just fine :)