Prototype PCIE SSD W/ Xilinx Virtex 5 XC5VLX110T pci-e SLC SSD

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by mobilenvidia, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia Moderator

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. cactus

cactus Moderator

That is sweet! Even better if it came with some code and documentation.

3. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia Moderator

I assume it has a Firmware on it, drivers would be an issue, which led me to do some googling
    The exact same controller is also featured in the Fusion io io-Drive

4. omniscence

omniscence New Member

Well, it's an FPGA, so it is ENTIRELY firmware :)
    The ICs that I could identify do not include a flash. There is only one IC left that could be a flash IC is the BGA next to the ARM's SRAM. But its label entirely unreadable. So lets assume that this contains the firmware. Bu it is quite possible that the ARM is used to upload the firmware at runtime.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

Interesting. Only bad is that new consumer drives prob much faster.

6. mrkrad

mrkrad Well-Known Member

fusion i/o is all software - steve woz is on the board of fusion i/o :) they charge so much for firmware with mandatory support required now it's not funny.

LSI made the software for their accelerator at one point (one of them). However LSI also makes the WARP/NYTRO and secret ISCSI devices using ASIC rather than your CPU.

You guys don't remember the old nokia 770 ipod like device? You had to tweak CFFJS2 - the nand was raw and if you used a normal filesystem it would roach the nand in no time. All software NAND management. A simple bug could cause excessive P/E and nuke it.

7. TheBay

TheBay New Member

That picture of the SSD brings back some fond memories of the early AT and XT's, I remember having one of these, the last 4 rows were socketed, took ages to put the IC's in those DIL sockets without bending legs.
    [​IMG]

8. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia Moderator

Reminds me of the socket SRAM in my good Ol' Commodore PET, my first true love :D

9. TheBay

TheBay New Member

You beat me with the Pet, my first was ZX81, ZX48k, VIC20, C64, ZX128 then Amiga :)

And Samsung made the best SRAM back in the day, seems they are still keeping up that tradition.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. wyluliraven

wyluliraven Member

Samsung memory 4tw!

Looks nifty however without actual support, meh?

11. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia Moderator

I tossed up between the ZX80 or the PET, I absolutely hated the keyboard on the ZX80, rest is history.
    I loved the PET, did my first assembly on this had to make my own programs and games.
    Still the computer I enjoyed the most.

From this I moved to an Amstrad CPC, then a long line of PC's, servers, Laptops

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013