Protectli FW4A experiences

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timofeym, Jun 12, 2018.

1. timofeym

timofeym New Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

They look interesting. Maybe we can get Rohit to review one.

3. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

I'd like to know if they work.

4. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

@Patrick can we get a comparison to the HP T620?

5. RedneckBob

RedneckBob New Member

I bought one of the FW4A models, but when it arrived and I started to plug it into my home network I got an uneasy feeling about it. Not sure why...maybe it's that I can't get the BIOS from anyone but Protectli and you cannot find much information about them on-line. Maybe the reason is I can't find a security audit of one of these boxes. Given there are an absurd amount of them for incredibly cheap has me believing its too good to be true.

These Qotom folks have similar boxes and they are even cheaper. They will even install PFsense for you. LOL.

I dunno....I want to order a couple of these, setup an isolated network with netshark, and power them up and see what flies out over the network.

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

6. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be trusting and preinstalled pfsense. Hardware / firmware probably ok.

Just putting them on a watched network won’t help to tell completely if they are safe, have to probe the network for anything listening and waiting to act in creative ways

7. Occamsrazor

Occamsrazor New Member

I don't really see the advantage of Protectli over Qotom. I bought a Qotom Q355g4 with i5 processor, 8gb RAM and 60GB SSD just over a year ago for $300. Installed pfSense fresh so no need to worry about spyware etc though I don't know much about BIOS. Very much overkill for my setup. I only have a 50mb internet connection but running full pfBlocker, Suricata IDS on both WAN and LAN, and a bunch of other stuff at full speed it only uses around 10-15% CPU. Has been flawless since I got it around a year ago.