Project: X-MAP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Build’s Name:X-MAP (Nutanix Mobile Automated Platform)
Operating System/ Storage Platform: AOS 5.6.x
CPU: Intel Xeon Scalable Silver 4116 12 Core CPU
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SPM-TF-O Micro ATX
Chassis: Cerberus mATX Case w/Handle - Ordered
Drives:
2 x Intel 750 AIC 800GB NVMe/4 x Intel S3710 800GB SSDs/32GB Optane Boot
RAM: Supermicro DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM 32GB x 6 (192GB Total)
Add-in Cards: Possibly GPU, not sure as of yet, trying to see what I can support
Power Supply:
Corsair SF450 w/custom sleeved cables
Other Bits: Supermicro SNK-P0070APS4
Switch: Netgear GS110EMX-100NAS

USE CASE:
This will be my Mobile Nutanix Lab AND my main lab at home. It will be running Base OS single node with Prism Central as the only VM AND the Domain/DNS Services & HYCU for the lab on the main host. Nested Nutanix will be deployed and Manged through our CALM Application MGMT framework built within Prism Central. Testing will include 99% of Nutanix Functionality and hit many use cases all Managed by the CALM feature in Prism Central. Backups will be done via HYCU to my QNAP TS-1685 for core VM's/Templates and Calm Blueprints.

Part Images:

Last edited:

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
RESERVED: BUILD IMAGES/VIDEOS: PROJECT IS ON HOLD: New Validated RAM tested and still same issues. Board should arrive today, will update after testing!

Starting on TestBench:

NEW Board is working!! Starting to build in the case and PICs inbound!

Building in Cerberus mATX Case:

Last edited:
Reactions: William

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
*COMMUNITY EDITION INFORMATION: First and foremost Nutanix Community Edition is NOT Production Nutanix. While they share 99% of the feature capability, the technology on the back-end is different. Nutanix Community Edition leverages LUN Passthrough, which is not ideal from a performance perspective as "emulated" storage with very low queue depth is used to provide optimal compatibility with the exception of NVMe which uses PCI-E Passthrough. Community Edition IS NOT intended for performance testing, it was intended to get an idea of the platform from a feature and usability perspective, however, we find that in most scenarios Community Edition will provide enough performance for Home Lab duty, etc.Production Nutanix AOS (Acropolis Operating System) leverages PCI-E Passthrough where each CVM has direct access to the HBA(s) in the system and provides an optimal experience in performance ESPECIALLY when leveraging AHV Turbo (Muti-Queue I/O Paths) along with network offload via RDMA. There is a LOT of FUD out there where some folks and I won't name names (against EULA I might add) are creating BLOGs and having actual Customers compare Nutanix Community Edition to competitive "production" products. This is disingenuous and is FUD, pure and simple. What is funny, however, that even Community Edition from a simplicity and usability perspective is far better than most "production level" competitors and i'll leave it to yourselves to be the judge of that.

RESERVED: SOFTWARE CONFIG IMAGES/VIDEOS

Join the Nutanix Community to Download Community Edition <---YOU MUST USE A VALID DOMAIN from email when you register, no gmail.com, hotmail.com etc.

There are a couple of methods of installation:

1. Write the Image file from the DISK IMAGE-BASED INSTALL file and write that image to a disk or USB key.
2. Mount the ISO installer from the ISO INSTALLER file and install to where you want it.

I will post a step by step video series in the coming weeks. RAM should be here early this week for the AIO Project X-MAP build.

Last edited:
Reactions: leebo_28

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Build’s Name:X-MAP (Nutanix Mobile Automated Platform)
Operating System/ Storage Platform: AOS 5.6.x
CPU: Intel Xeon Scalable Silver 4116 12 Core CPU
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SPM-TF-O Micro ATX
Chassis: Cerberus mATX Case w/Handle
Drives: 2 x Intel 750 AIC 800GB NVMe/4 x Intel S3710 800GB SSDs
RAM: Supermicro DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM 32GB x 6 (192GB Total)
Add-in Cards: Possibly GPU, not sure as of yet, trying to see what I can support
Power Supply:
Corsair SF600 w/custom sleeved cables
Other Bits: COOLING, I NEED INPUT ON THIS
Switch: I think i'm going with the Netgear GS110EMX-100NAS

USE CASE:
This will be my Mobile Nutanix Lab AND my main lab at home. It will be running Base OS single node with Prism Central as the only VM AND the Domain/DNS Services & HYCU for the lab on the main host. Nested Nutanix will be deployed and Manged through our CALM Application MGMT framework built within Prism Central. Testing will include 99% of Nutanix Functionality and hit many use cases all Managed by the CALM feature in Prism Central. Backups will be done via HYCU to my QNAP TS-1685 for core VM's/Templates and Calm Blueprints.

Part Images and Videos: RESERVED

Nice choice in case. I hope I had some influence. BTW they are reveling a new one in a few weeks at computex.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Case is amazing ! I was waiting so long for this and was so thrilled when it was announced and went into production. Not cheap but it’s good.
This and if mini-ITX the ncase m1 are my 2 favorite cases.

Reactions: DaddyGrant

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Nice choice in case. I hope I had some influence. BTW they are reveling a new one in a few weeks at computex.
I agree, great case choice.
Wonder what was reveailed at computex? Cant find any info => NVM, found it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyGrant

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Massive update bump....Software is next and i'm ordering newer SATA or 12GB SAS to SATA breakout cables, the thin ones from Supermicro and a couple of Noctua Fans, so you're not looking at final product.

This case was literally the best building experience i've ever had, and i've been building PCs/Servers for 20 years.

Time to get my drink on and take a break!

Reactions: Evan and DaddyGrant

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Massive update bump....Software is next and i'm ordering newer SATA or 12GB SAS to SATA breakout cables, the thin ones from Supermicro and a couple of Noctua Fans, so you're not looking at final product.

This case was literally the best building experience i've ever had, and i've been building PCs/Servers for 20 years.

Time to get my drink on and take a break!
That is why I have two of them now. :) Regular and X
Keep it coming... I thought you disappeared for a moment.