EXPIRED Project Olympus Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processor Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Maca

Apr 8, 2018
A friend sent this to me and I thought I'd post it here.

Currently at $12.50 Canadian, although I'll be honest I've never even seen one of these before so I don't even know what it is.

• Wow
Reactions: tinfoil3d

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It is from Microsoft (there is a MS logo on the board), looks like it is related to Azure:

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Curious, listed as max 205W TDP — would they support 240W?
Usually the TDP max on a system relates to its ability to cool the CPUs, so it would be dicey to use 240s on a 205 rated system if you ever have high / max cpu usage. Then its also possible the board simply can't deliver that much power so it would be even dicier.

I wouldn't recommend using a 240w cpu in a system rated for 205w max. It might work ok most of the time but could go very wrong under load.

anything1233

Just a Member
Dec 29, 2020
1. @funkywizard But if I’m too eager to try? I’m more worried about the BIOS/UEFI support of the CPU... The docs say the mobo supports all server class SKUs — does it mean it might support an OEM 240W CPUs as well, such as 8124M? (My thoughts: considering it was custom built by Microsoft for themselves, they might also be using ‘custom’ CPUs — the same way Amazon does it. Unsure about the wattage, though.)

2. Might it support the Cascade Lake as well? I’ve heard that usually a mobo needs a BIOS update for it to work, but I couldn’t find the BIOS/UEFI firmware for this particular board (apart from the BIOS specification). Considering it’s an ‘Open Compute’ project — shouldn’t there be the firmware open-sourced somewhere?

D383C13E-4B0E-4771-8BF8-4B8C712C6675.jpeg
D63E8147-4422-40AB-B078-8A16BD84256E.jpeg

Last edited:

Maca

Apr 8, 2018
The listing has expired and the site doesn't seem to show what the winning bid was, but the last I saw it was at $32.50 Canadian. The friend who sent it to me said it's the second time they've seen one on that site. If anyway is interested I can keep my eye out and post again if another one comes up.

Unfortunately my wife would probably kill me if I bought that since I just upgraded my server recently, particularly with the cost of that generation of processors.