Project BenchRipper

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Build’s Name: BenchRipper
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Fedora 27 Workstation
CPU: ThreadRipper 1950x
Motherboard: Asrock X399M Taichi
Chassis: Praxis Wetbench
Drives: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB OS/Apps Some U.2 NVMe drives variant <---Looking for
RAM: 4x16GB 64GB DDR4 3333
Add-in Cards: EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Intel X710-DA2 SFP+ <----Looking for
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000i
Other Bits: Enermax Litqtech TR4 360 AIO

USE CASE: This is going to be a learning project, basically a lab addition to my QNAP and Nutanix Cluster. I'm thinking this will run some Linux Variant and will run both VM's and Docker Containers for learning DevOps, Jenkins, Git, Python Scripting, etc, is one use case. Other use cases will be running a VM for Streaming (OBS from current Workstation), Lab/Office INF Monitoring via Nagios..etc. It will be an all purpose machine and as my needs change this will handle that. This way I can tear down my Nutanix Lab as often as I like and re-purpose for Customer demos..the Nutanix Cluster will now be used for real use cases...so I feel better about the investment I made.

Build Images:
(The glaring thing is the Enermax AIO is not mounted, the water tubes were not long enough and I thought they were the longest out there, apparently not. Gonna have to rethink the cooling over time) The next few posts will be burn-in, highest stable overclock, bench testing then the other posts will be software setup. I have decided on Fedora as the main OS.

UPDATE: Decided to move this into a chassis that can support the 360mm RAD from Enermax. It will be going into a Lian Li PC011 Dynamic in White/Black. Updates to follow on that as soon as the chassis becomes available.

Last edited: