Problems with my E5-2697 v4 ES CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hellstaff

Mar 23, 2017
Hi folks!

A while ago I purchased two Intel Xeon E5-2697v4 CPUs Bilder-Upload - Kostenlos Fotos hochladen und ins Netz stellen

One CPU works perfecty, but the second seems to be unstable and I experienced following problems:

- Chrome or Firefox return following messages Google Chrome Error - Ah, Snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage ~ Laksha (appears often)

- Some symbols in the left lower "Start menue" are missing (reguarly)

- Games like Overwatch don't start or shut down during the game (appears often)

- mostly related to the Ram: Bilder-Upload - Kostenlos Fotos hochladen und ins Netz stellen) (appears rarely)

- Antivirus program does not start (appears rarely)

On the other hand this ES CPU doesn’t return error messages during Prime 95.

Testing systems:

2x Asrock X99 Extreme 4 (latest BIOS)

1x Asus Z10PA-D8 (latest BIOS)

3 kinds of Ram used seperately: Kingston DDR4 2133 ECC, Crucial DDR4 2133 ECC and Crucial DDR4 2400 Ram.

The maiboards work stable with other Xeon (non-ES) CPUs, so I can exclude a malfunction of these components.

You seem to very experienced with ES CPUs. Could you give me any advice to fix this issue?

Greetings,

Hellstaff

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sadly you can't "fix" a stability issue with an ES CPU.

The best luck you're going to have is to take out the CPU and clean it, and make sure there's 0 specs of anything (dust or thermal paste) on the pin side.

Next up would be replacing the ASROCK and ASUS boards with SuperMicro. You'll find 1 common theme on these forums... most end up going to SUperMIcro because ASUS and the like board cause a crap load more problems... or maybe those trying/using them are also buying very early release ES chips because they're cheap too? No clue, all I know is they are commonly mentioned inthe 'my cpu doesn't work' threads.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Do they have a Qxxx marking on the chips? I know some ES are too early and cannot do 2 socket systems

Hellstaff

Mar 23, 2017
To be honest, I think i got a little piece of cleaning paper between the socket and the CPU during the usage. But I am not sure. The whole contact area looks strange btw :/ Bilder-Upload - Kostenlos Fotos hochladen und ins Netz stellen Look at the upper left corner.

I also think, that there was some thermal grease in the dark middle area (lower right inner rectangle)

Is there any possibility to improve the conductivity of the contacts. Some look pretty scratched.

@ Tango: One of the ES CPUs doesn'teven work properly on the Asrock board

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
Your picture shows tarnishing of the gold surfaces. Top right, top left and centre middle above the SMDs. Maybe you can polish these but ALWAYS remember to be very careful and earth yourself and your tool area to avoid static damage.

Chemical de-tranish may be an option but if you have or can get hold of an electronics protoryping eraser (the type that electronics engineers use to manually clean small spots of tarnished copper and gold PCB) and use it to wipe away the tarnish on those spots (it has a micro-abrasive action so only wipe with the eraser softly!) then this would ensure proper contact with the LGA springs in the CPU holder. This may or may not solve your problems.