Problems flashing LSI SAS2308 firmware on X10SL7-F board

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

khorton

Dec 28, 2015
I'm attempting to flash the LSI SAS2308 firmware on my recently purchased SuperMicro X10SL7-F board to IT mode. The process fails after downloading the firmware, when attempting to reset the adapter.

The first attempt was made by running the SMC2308T.NSH script file from the UEFI shell. The next three attempts were made by manually running the commands in the SMC2308T.NSH file from the UEFI shell. Every attempt ends the same way. The last attempt was made using the -debug switch on sas2flash, but it didn't provide any useful additional info.

I've studied the manual for sas2flash, but I don't see any obvious other steps. Is there anything else I can try before contacting support?

A few screen shots follow.

Attachments

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
Strange, I saw similar flashing failure with PCIe add on SM LSI card (AOC-S2308L-L8i) *until* I resolved it by booting up via UEFI and using sas2flash.efi (as opposed to sas2flash via DOS boot, linux, or vmware).

Do you have additional LSI controllers in any PCI slots that might conflict with flashing the onboard controller? Did you do full erase (-o -e 7) prior? This sequence straight from the SM FTP site zipfile should work:

sas2flash.efi -o -e 7
sas2flash.efi -f 2308T204.ROM
sas2flash.efi -b mptsas2.rom (technically you can skip this and the next step for IT mode and save a few seconds boot time)
sas2flash.efi -b x64sas2.rom
sas2flash.efi -o -sasaddhi 5003048 (and then enter last 9 digits of the HBA's hardware address when prompted)

khorton

Dec 28, 2015
No, there are no PCI cards at all. The full erase command should have been run on my first attempt, when I tried running the script in the SuperMicro download. After that failed, I ran the commands manually, starting with "sas2flash.efi -o -e 7". The command that failed was "sas2flash.efi -f 2308T204.ROM", and the output was exactly the same as on the first attempt, when running the script.

All attempts have been via UEFI shell.

I'm on a back and forth with SuperMicro tech support this evening, but so far they haven't suggested anything I hadn't already tried.

khorton

Dec 28, 2015
SuperMicro tech support had me try various things over several days, but nothing I tried was able to get the LSI 2308 to accept firmware. They concluded it was probably defective, and suggested I RMA it with Newegg, where I purchased it two weeks ago.