Problem with Ga-MZ31-AR0, the first single socket AMD EPYC Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
What happens when you use older cards? 1060/1070/1080 instead of the brand new cards?

Chris

VincentdeG

Oct 12, 2018
When we select external vga, we can choose 1,2,3 till 8. while there are 7 pcie slots. We got 3x rtx2080 working on slot 1 4 and 6 but when we add a 4th one on slot 3 or 5 the system won't boot and there is no signal to the monitor.

We tested with 4x 1070ti, on slot 1,3,4 and 6 and we got into windows, but only 2 gpu's are recognized. We will check tomorrow if enabling 4g decoding will help.
This is the result with the older cards ;)

VincentdeG

Oct 12, 2018
We got 4x 1070Ti working, but when we place RTX 2080 the systeem gives no signal. iff i check log i see this
System Software event: System Event sensor, OEM System Boot Event was asserted

VincentdeG

Oct 12, 2018
Iff we put one RTX2080 in slot 3 systeem systeem boots and gives signal. adding second card in slot 1(1+3) no boot no signal. adding slot 4 (3+4) no boot and no signal. adding slot 5(3+5) systeem boot, gives signal but freezes with error 9c. adding slot 6 (3+6) no boot no signal.

VincentdeG

Oct 12, 2018
What happens in Linux? Just to rule out some crazy windows thing?
This problem is not os related, the system crashes/freezes before the os is loaded. The bios doesn't support the rtx series, so we have to wait for bios F11 or a fix from gigabyte.

We got in touch with gigabyte so we have to wait for their response.

Nov 1, 2018
I'm having somewhat of a similar problem. Currently I can't get the system to POST. I follow the error tree found here ( GIGABYTE SERVER - Trouble Shooting ). Under the POST tree it leads me to Check IPMI event log. I can't get the main board to cycle the monitor LED. it never registers or flickers the Monitor. It always stays orange.

If I follow the post code it cites a solid green light. The LED stays solid green for about a minute then starts blinking on and off.

I did try a 710 nvida VGA card with no luck.

I only have 1 stick of ECC RAM at the moment, slotted into A1. 1 hunch might be that I need more RAM sticks? Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions out there?

Nov 1, 2018
I'm having somewhat of a similar problem. Currently I can't get the system to POST. I follow the error tree found here ( GIGABYTE SERVER - Trouble Shooting ). Under the POST tree it leads me to Check IPMI event log. I can't get the main board to cycle the monitor LED. it never registers or flickers the Monitor. It always stays orange.

If I follow the post code it cites a solid green light. The LED stays solid green for about a minute then starts blinking on and off.

I did try a 710 nvida VGA card with no luck.

I only have 1 stick of ECC RAM at the moment, slotted into A1. 1 hunch might be that I need more RAM sticks? Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions out there?
I was able to post after fixing some bent pins on the socket...

Attachments

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
This problem is not os related, the system crashes/freezes before the os is loaded. The bios doesn't support the rtx series, so we have to wait for bios F11 or a fix from gigabyte.

We got in touch with gigabyte so we have to wait for their response.
I have the same annoying problem. I have been running 4x 1080 Ti's since July 2018 and just tried switching over to 2080 Ti's and can't get it to work. Not even a single card works with 4G decoding enabled. Did you ever get a response from Gigabyte on this?

VincentdeG

Oct 12, 2018
I have the same annoying problem. I have been running 4x 1080 Ti's since July 2018 and just tried switching over to 2080 Ti's and can't get it to work. Not even a single card works with 4G decoding enabled. Did you ever get a response from Gigabyte on this?
Hi we got an Beta version bios, but it also didn't solve the issue. 4G decoding has to be off to work properly with 4x 10 series card, or 3x 20 series card.

We switched for another deeplearning machine to the Asus c422 Sage/10G ( https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/WS-C422-SAGE-10G/overview/ )
We got this working with 4x 2080's at the first boot, so if we have to build another one we will go with the asus one.

Goodluck.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
Thanks for the follow-up! I contacted Gigabyte support and they sent me F12b to try. It installed and I was able to post with a single 2080 Ti (4G Decoding Enabled). When I populated more than one 2080 Ti it would not post. Not happy about this, but I think I may need to cut my losses and go with a different board. The weird part is this works just fine for me using four 1080 Ti's and 4G Decoding enabled.