Problem with edge switch SFP ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dgalaz

Aug 17, 2021
Hello everyone, I need a little help, I have an edge switch DCS-7050QX-32S-R, which physically has 4 SFP ports (1-4), but at the administration level I don't see them, I only see the QSFP ports, someone do you know what it can be?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
The 7050qx-32s supports breakout on the first 24 QSFPs.

Code:
core-40g(config)#hardware port-group 1 select ?
  Et1-4    Activate ports Et1-4
  Et5/1-4  Activate ports Et5/1-4
Setting Et1-4 disables the first QSFP port and enables the 4 10G ports.

dgalaz

Aug 17, 2021
thanks for your help, it's what I was looking for, I'll do a lab before and I'll check this, since it gives me a warning that indicates that I will have a flap in all the cards and if you tell me to deactivate the first QSFP (Et5/1), this is my trunk would leave without service, so I have to coordinate this change well

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Yeah, the 4x10 is physically sharing lanes with Et5. So you either get the 4x10G, or you get Et5. So if you want those SFP+ ports then you'd need to move your trunk, or whatever happens to be connected, from Et5 to elsewhere.

I use MTP to 4x 10G breakout fiber cables with QSFP optics, fed to LC bulkhead patch connectors for my 10G devices on my switch (I needed more than 4 10G interfaces anyway, so that was an easier overall solution for me).

If using breakout is an option, yes it has a slightly higher cost, but you can use an unused port rather than having to do downtime to move your trunk.