Problem booting to USB stick with supermicro H11SSL

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have a supermicro H11SSL v2 with bios 2.0a.
I have a 16 core EPYC rome processor as 128gb of ram.

I have a known good usb stick to boot windows 10 and a known good usb stick to boot mageia 7 (linux)/
Both flash drives have installed on legacy bios systems ans UEFI systems.

I have tried quite a lot of things, but I have been unable to get either stick to boot in either UEFI or legacy mode.
I have a samsung 500gb ssd which has a broken version of windows 10. In UEFI mode, I can boot to the ssd.

I have had no issue with the usb sticks, and I installed windows 10 and linux on my older supermicro x8dtl motherboard as well as a bunch of modern dell laptops that are UEFI based.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I had no issues booting to Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 stick in the rear USB 3.0 ports. The secondary headers on the motherboard for front panel connections were not working at the initial boot level. Use the rear ports on the motherboard.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
You're using the USB 3.0 ports out back right?
Since there are only 4 ports on the back, I am using one for keyboard, one for mouse, and one for usb stick. One the advice of supermicro, I am using the usb2 port closest to the serial port for the usb stick.

I can now boot to non-uefi linux via usb stick, but I just tried booting to uefi linux without success.
And I can't boot to windows-10 usb stick at all in either mode.
I have verified all my usb sticks will boot in uefi mode on a dell laptop.

I have opened a trouble ticket with them.
It shouldn't be so hard to boot from usb.
I wonder if there is a bug in the bios or the mb has an issue...

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Also make sure you turn off IOMMU and hyper threading in the bios. Those will keep Windows 10 from booting/installing. Also use the most recent version of Windows 10 from the media creation tool.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I had no issues booting to Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 stick in the rear USB 3.0 ports. The secondary headers on the motherboard for front panel connections were not working at the initial boot level. Use the rear ports on the motherboard.
That makes me think the mb has issues. I will contact provantage today.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Also make sure you turn off IOMMU and hyper threading in the bios. Those will keep Windows 10 from booting/installing. Also use the most recent version of Windows 10 from the media creation tool.
I didn't know that. Can I turn them on after installing windows 10?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
IOMMU and SMT off. Power cycled as the bios said when changing SMT.

Still unable to boot UEFI windows USB stick :-(
Were there any other settings I need to do to make it boot?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Try hitting F11 and manually selecting your UEFI USB stick. It should show up in a blue menu after a couple of initial screens. Make sure you adjust your boot settings in the bios too. I’d suggest initially disabling all but UEFI on your USB drive.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I doubt it’s the motherboard. USB typically either works or doesn’t work. May try doing a full bios reset too and only changing a couple of the defaults as already mentioned in this thread.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
You could also try using the Type A USB 3.0 port on the motherboard near the CPU, simply plug the USB drive into it.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

I had some similar problems a while ago, I did not find a solution and found another work-around.

Check out this thread from post #19 onward.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-x9drd-7ln4f-jbod-rev-1-02-142.24705/

The machine will power up into BIOS and everything looks normal, no unwanted beeps or any other alarms.

When I try to install an OS, Win 10 or Linux the install fails. In Win 10 the circle of dots stops rotating and if I try to install Linux the machine stops at the GRUB screen. I tried to install from a USB 3 memory stick which works on other SM X9 motherboards and also an install from the CD drive. The behaviour is the same.

Interestingly, if I just try to install DOS with a Windows DOS USB 2 memory stick, the machine will boot into MS DOS with no problems.
Good Luck.

RedX1

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have some success. After reading a lot, I saw that some video cards caused issues with UEFI booting USB sticks. I removed the low powered video card I had, and I am now installing windows 10 via USB. I sure hope I can put the video card back in the computer after installing windows and linux.

The video card in question is an AMD FirePro W2100. It is low power and has 2 display port connectors.
It sure would be nice if the supermicro BIOS printed out some kind of error message.
It would be ideal if I had a video card that allowed me to use a live USB to boot different operating systems.

If you have this motherboard, and a video card that allows UEFI booting, please let me know.

This has caused me far too much grief :-(

It is a good thing that I still have VGA monitors...