Prime Day - 4TB SSD SATA 2.5" WD Blue (TLC 3D NAND) for $370

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Just be aware, this drive only have 600TB endurance Total.

So its a nice drive, but 600TB is not a lot for a server drive - my nvme drive I have had for about a year or more have already written 317 TB, so I would hate to buy a "cheap" drive and have it die in a couple of years.

But for desktop usage or archive only storage, its perfect I guess.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Just be aware, this drive only have 600TB endurance Total.

So its a nice drive, but 600TB is not a lot for a server drive - my nvme drive I have had for about a year or more have already written 317 TB, so I would hate to buy a "cheap" drive and have it die in a couple of years.

Yes, there is a reason why enterprise drives are so highly rated.
We only use them these days in our data centers. Even more for anything with heavy writes like MySQL servers.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

Sure - but your 4TB NVMe drive isn't going to be $370 on sale new anytime soon. There's a reason why Enterprise drives have huge over-provisioning and cost significantly more. Your NVMe is more likely to be 3.2TB and have 25 ~ 35% over-provisioning

You can also do the same trick with SATA SSDs. Just use half the disk and it will act like it's over provisioned and raise the endurance *significantly*. This is what I do with my Crucial MX500's - although Micron's utilities are way better than WD and allow you to decrease the LBA count instead of just creating hidden partitions (which may not work in all use cases).

But as a read focused storage, this price for a new drive - is awesome. For example, I need to take 3TB of 'sneaker net' style backups from some servers and this does the job perfectly - mount it into the server, copy the files without having to worry about cooling some NVMe disk etc, load it into new server and snooze while the backup is being loaded :)

(edit) The NAS focused WD RED 4TB SSD (https://www.amazon.com/Red-SA500-NAS-NAND-Internal/dp/B07YFGTXHT) has an endurance of 2500 TBW, but isn't on sale and costs $520

Last edited:

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Reactions: mackle